Gor tex lined boots advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

khain

Mar 2, 2014
Scotland
I switched to unlined leather boots recently and find my feet are generally much drier and more comfortable, except in constant heavy rain.

I think it depends on your feet to some extent and how thick the boots are. I have a couple of pairs of gore-tex shoes which are fine but my feet sweat like mad when hiking in heavy lined boots. Other people have no problems.

sharpangle

Sep 2, 2015
N Ireland
Can't get on with goretex lined footwear at all. I find the heat builds up to a very uncomfortable level and regardless of manufacturers claims, they get damp and clammy inside. Also tend to pong after a while. 3 pairs of hiker type boots I use are all leather lined.
Lowa Renegade: probably one of the most comfortable boots I have worn. Not heavy duty but excellent for light hikes in milder conditions. These are also available with a goretex liner.
Lowa Munro: Brilliant general purpose hiker. Properly treated with waterproofer of choice reasonably water repellent. Walked the West Highland Way in these with very happy feet at the end. May be superseded by an updated model now.
Scarpa Ranger: Classic hiker, not as comfortable as the Munro but I wouldn't part with them. Also available with goretex.
Another problem with waterproof liners in footwear is if the foot is submerged over the top of the boot then you will be walking in a very soggy boot for the rest of the day at least. They can be difficult to dry out whilst outdoors as well. I'll definitely be sticking with the old skool cow hide for the foreseeable. Some of my buddies sport the latest goretex lined models and seem to get on fine with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE