Goose recipes please folks....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Evening all,

We're having a great big goose for Christmas lunch, I love roast goose but looking for some interesting recipes that we could try.

So, any recipes you use yourself or links to interesting sounding ones that I could check out would be gratefully received.

BenMid

Dec 16, 2012
Chipping Norton
I've not got a recipe for you, as such, but I like the following.
Stuff it with citrus fruit.
Rub with a thin coat of oil and a decent salt, such as Maldon.
Stand on a metal trivet, or a bed of celery in a roasting pan and pour in a pint of cider.
Improvise a lid with another roasting tin and place in an oven for three hours at 200℃. Ensure the liquid is kept topped up to steam it and as soon as the skin is soft, gently ***** all over with a fork to help release the fat.
After this time, swap the goose and trivet to the pan that was the lid, and whack the oven up to max. Roast till everything goes crispy.
Remove and rest while you make roast potatoes with the fat, and gravy from the sticky stuff.
It's not conventional roast goose, and the meat isn't rare, but it is very good.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Yum, me too, I love to hear of any kind of recipes, I pass the details on to my wife (and I supervise :goodnight:).

rorymax

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Smoked maybe?

Or deep fried (whole) as a turkey is often done?

I wish I could experiment more with goose also. But unfortunately it's expensive over here.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm a bird hunter. If it flies, it dies. Canada Geese, ducks, grouse, wild turkey.
Law says non-toxic shot for the migratory birds (geese & ducks) so I feed them BBB
in 3.5" shells in my Benelli Nova. Mostly pass shooting around a decoy set in a grain field.

In return for the priviledge, I kept the breasts, thighs & legs. Gave all the rest to the
rancher who had a couple of falcons to feed.

Wine-braised goose/duck/bison/whatever.
2 x 10oz cans condensed mushroom soup
1 packet dry onion soup mix
2C red wine
No salt. Enough in the other ingredients
2-4 tbs veg oil (I prefer corn oil)
3 minced cloves of garlic
3/4 tsp each thyme & black pepper
3/4 tsp each basil & oregano
2-3 lbs game meat in 1" dice (duck breasts/goose thighs & legs can go in whole)
Combine all but the meat in a big pot/casserole.
Bury the meat in the goop.
Bake covered 3 hrs @ 300F
Maybe for the last 30-45 minutes add handfuls of peas, dice carrot/potato/green beans.
Set the table and dig in. Best with lots of crusty breads and demolish the rest of the vino.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd be inclined to just roast the goose and let the flavour speak for itself. A nice complimentary sauce, maybe blackberry or wine or port. A quick google will give you loads of ideas with reviews to go with.
When it comes to christmas stuff, I tend to play it safe and experiment with the veggies and sides :)

Also, be aware that there is waaay less meat on the breast of a goose that a turkey, if you're more used to the latter.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I think we have the quantity issue covered :)

The one I have ordered is described as " for six servings" and there's only the two of us this year :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I do like BenMid's plan with the citrus.
Certainly a domestic goose, raised for the table, needs a lot less help than a Canada goose.
I roast ckickens in a gas BBQ, rigged up with an iron pan of applewood chunks for smoke for the first hour.
On indirect 275F heat, 3 hrs does a fine job.

The trick here is to rub the bird inside and out with a mix of herbs and spices which we call
a 'dry' BBQ rub as opposed to wet sauce basting.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
even a farm raised domesticated goose has far far less breast meat on it than a turkey.

I meant was the turkey wild or farm raised domesticated breed; not the goose. The domesticated turkeys we buy in grocery stores or at the butchers' has far bigger breasts than a normal wild turkey. They've been bred so abnormally that they can no longer even breed naturally; they have to be artificially inseminated.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE