Good web site - downsizer.net

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I came across this web site today and found it had a LOT of useful info, whilst being aimed at people 'downsizing' (typically giving up full-time work, reducing working hours and setting up on a small holding or farm or simply living on less money etc), is equally useful for bushcraft. Similar to the Rivercottage site.The site is here:

downsizer.net

Just a few of the more relevant articles (although I find a lot of it interesting even though it is not strictly bushcraft)

Wild Food

They give a list of articles offering tips on monthly wild food, for instance:

Top Ten Wild Foods for July

Lots of other articles which are well illustrated including some not suitable for sensitive veggies but they are all clearly titled. I wont link it here but check out the 'Paunching & Skinning a Rabbit' which is a good basic, illustrated guide. And 'An Introduction To Freshwater Fishing' which offers sensible advicse on starting fishing for the pot.

There is a section for Curing and Smoking and a really interesting project for making a cheap filing cabinet cold smoker:

Filing Cabinet Cold Smoker

Again, nicely illustrated and well explained.

And of course loads of info for downsizers ;) Also worth checking out the Forums where they have sections for 'Foraging', 'Shooting and trapping for the pot', 'Fishing',

Hehe, i found that site about 5 minutes before i found this site a few weeks ago. When i saw your post i thought i would mention the rabbit article but you already have, so good on ya for finding it! i had largely forgotten about it, so caught up in the thrill of being a newcomer on this site! (actually, no sarcasm there whatsoever! - it's great, feeling like the novice that i am again and always having people older, wiser and more experianced than i in such matters around to consult - it's quite frustrating turning to the people who you could ask about other things for more informaton or guidance and realising that your own patchy, moth-eaten knowledge is more than they have on the subject of bushcraft! And everyone onthis site is so friendly and willing to help as well - some message boards i've seen are an excuse for people to shout out their views and offend people)
Must cut down on sugar intake, or get more sleep....seems like even when i type, i talk too much! Hehehe.

Ajali
XOX

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE