Good Recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey everyone

After last year being the first time i made my own sloe gin, i am looking to expand a bit more!!! Does anyone know of good recipes for birch sap and elderflower (alcoholic of course) or can recommend any other foragable ingredients for a good beverage which would'nt be too difficult or space consuming? Also where can i buy the equipment for doing so....?

Cheers

Rob

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There was quite a long discussion on Birch Sap last year - it would be worth doing a search.

IMO there is not enough sugar in UK birch sap to make it worth firmenting on its own. However the drink I do make is quite palatable depending on your tastes:

Take about 2 litres of birch sap and boil it down until you have less than a cup full (it’s now quite thick and sweet) add half again of Jameson Irish. Now you have a choice, drink it as is or add a little double cream – quite delicious but not very efficient unless you have a fire going to boil the sap down with anyway.

Elderflower makes one of the best home made white wines possible; at its best it is comparable to a good white wine.

Cheers,

Broch

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I know you asked for alcoholic drinks, but...

Elderflower Champagne (lots of recipes if you Google for them), although containing minimal alcohol, is also a good Summer drink and very quick and easy to make. Should be drinkable 2-3 weeks after picking the elderflowers.

Elderflower Cordial is also good, use with soda water instead of buying Elderflower Presse.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE