Good news for tea drinkers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
There was a book or TV program that I read /saw a year or two ago that suggested that the British Empire developed because of the health benefits of drinking tea.

IIRC, there was a limit on the size of settlements (towns /cities) for health reasons - above a certain size the prevalence of disease in crowded conditions meant that the settlement could not grow sustainably. Once tea drinking became commonplace, people were healthier and more resistant to disease, so settlements could grow larger and be able to support manufacturing industries, hence the development of the Empire.

Not sure if this would be regarded as a good thing nowadays, as many bushcraft types may feel that a more agricultural /small village based society would be preferable, but that is probably a discussion for another thread, or even another forum!

Geoff

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5281046.stm

I drink lots of tea, about 8 mugs at least a day. Probably too much, but I was glad to read this.

Sorry to burst your tea bag but I've been discussing this with a friend and we wouldn't trust that article.
It doesn't mention tannins which apparently are the dehydrating factor.
The mention of fluoride, it isn't clear if that's from the tea or the water they use, plus don't even get me started on the whole fluoride debate.
It doesn't mention whether the experiments were done in the body or in a lab (lab results are pretty much null and void).
But the biggest concern is that the funding was given by the tea council, yet they say it's an independent study.

I have a condition which causes me pain when I become dehydrated (that's the only time), if this article is true why do I experience pain after drinking tea?

Science can prove whatever it wants, especially if money is involved, thats why theres so much conflicting information out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE