Good morning out and about...Photo heavy..

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
What a lovely day.....Great weather, so I had a trip to the wildlife reserve...
Tried my first yew berry....Very sweet, but with the consistancy of glue. I made sure the seed did not go in my mouth, I don't want to die yet.....
yewberryslargeti1.jpg

Still plenty of dragonflies around, one even landed on my shoulder, which was nice....
dsc02768largeon2.jpg

Saw a male greater spotted woodpecker....
dsc02786largekv5.jpg

He went straight for the feeder...
dsc02789largene6.jpg

You can tell its a male by the red band on its neck, the females don't have this.
Infact a female turned up as well and they both flew off together..
Also saw a sparrowhawk go for a kill, but it missed, and so did I with the camera...
I did get a treecreeper though...
dsc02785largeyw6.jpg

Loads and loads of fungi about, saw stinkhorns, jews ear....erm, thats all I could identify, this one was strange looking....
dsc02769largeiu3.jpg

Its always worth spending some time looking up oak trees, there is always something going on in them. I saw blue tits, great tits, tree creepers, a nuthatch, gold crests and long tailed tits.....
dsc02773largesi2.jpg

I was only out for about 2 hours, but its all there to be seen, if your quiet enough...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Dead Mans' Fingers (Xylaria polymorpha) by the looks of it Jon.

Cool pics, as always....short toed treecreeper? or long toed

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stovie said:
Dead Mans' Fingers (Xylaria polymorpha) by the looks of it Jon.

Cool pics, as always....3 toed treecreeper? or 5
Cheers for that Rich.....I remember someone there saying they had seen some dead mans fingers, good name....
I reckon the treecreeper was the eurasian one certhia familiaris.....???

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
dsc02769largeiu3.jpg

Looks like an alien crashed into a hedge to me though ... :D

Uuuurr GRMBL ... Body check 1, 2, 3, ..., 11 arms - yep still got them all ...
Bugger, crashed again ... Sunday really isn't my day of the week .. @&%#& I'll stay in bed next week!

:lmao:
Great pics Jon, thanks for sharing! :beerchug:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great pictures as always Jon. Had a bit of a bimble round myself today, lovely weather as you said. The fungi round our way are truly outstanding at the moment - well worth a look if you are in the area

Red

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I keep seeing your pictures on the boards John and am always impressed by how good they are: what camera do you use?

P.S. Arent they just dog turds :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Aaron said:
I keep seeing your pictures on the boards John and am always impressed by how good they are: what camera do you use?

P.S. Arent they just dog turds :lmao:
Cheers Aaron...I use a sony H1, has a 12 times optical zoom. Helps me get closer to the action. best thing is though, it has anti shake in it, this really helps on the longer distance or poor light shots. The panasonic fz30 (soon to be replaced by the fz50, so bargains to be had maybe) has all this too, but is a better camera. I am no camera buff, I still just point and shoot and hope, with it. I havent got a clue on metering, iso's and what speed and appature I should use....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Matthew.Passmore said:
ooo yew berries, I want to try one but I dare'nt, dont want to die young. :p

1 gram of leaves, or 3-5 seeds, per kilogram of bodyweight is fatal to human being. - off some plant site.

Lol....I thought you could die on just one seed ?? But the fruit is safe. It amazes me.....It wasn't a bad taste either, I just didn't like the texture of it in my mouth, bit like raw egg.... :yuck:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
leon-b said:
sounds like you had a great morning
leon
I did thanks Leon, it was one of those days that make you glad to be alive, but I always enjoy a walk round the reserve, feels like my backyard now and I need to go and check on everything, if you know what I mean.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE