Good milk container

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I normally take powered milk when camping but what would be a good milk container for camping for a few nights?

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I take a small thermos flask of milk when camping. Works great but needs to be sanitised to keep the milk from going off over a few days. I also get the thermos and the milk as cold as possible before filling.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thin plastic single use water bottle. Never be concerned about harmful leachates or it would not have been a water bottle in the first place.

We always dug a hole in the ground for food to reduce spoilage.
The wet/damp soil is always colder than the summer air.

Fast forward 60 years: I freeze about 1 cm water in the bottoms of a few bottles and add the cold juices/milk to that. The % dilution is hardly noticeable.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I use one of these and frequently forget to empty it but as it's stainless the cottage cheese comes away fine. I'm canoeing in scotland so keeping it cool isn't usually an issue.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
In the past when I did, I used the opaque flexible white Nalgene HDPE bottles and not once did they leak, in fact those bottles were used for lots of things, because they were tough and didn't leak..... they were also inexpensive.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I weaned myself off having milk in tea and coffee when I was a teenager because I had difficulty carrying and storing it on backpacks of more than a few days. Unfortunately, the missus does take milk :(

Trekking in the Landy it's not problem 'cos we have a fridge but for anything else I still struggle to find a container that doesn't leak or taste. I'll watch for advice with interest :)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
A plastic pop bottle is robust and doesn’t leak. Partially filled, frozen and buried in a pack the milk will stay fresh for 48 hours unless it’s very hot weather.

Now days I use Nido milk in tea or drink it and coffee black. Nido is also good for adding to bannocks and drop scones mixes.

Reactions: billycoen

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I use NIDO which is full fat so flavours the tea suitably rather than just whitening the tea like the skimmed powdered milk. It’s kept in a 200-250ml nalgene. More often I use Carnation condensed milk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavaise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE