good lightweight tent for backpacking & the dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth
Never ceases to amaze me that people have dogs that are tent-safe. Any of the dogs that I've had would destroy a tent the first time they heard another animal. The ones I have at the moment wouldn't even need that much, they'd just start to play and a bit of thin fabric wouldn't slow them down at all.

If I were to take them anywhere camping (not that I'd think it could ever really be safe for all concerned) I'd be thinking about a tarp, a surplus bivvy bag, some chain and a good ground anchor.

our borders are fine in the tent- the youngest one sleeps in my sleeping bag with me ( or in with one of the kids if they are with us) and the older usually on the bottom of my sleeping bag. they usually take themselves off to bed when it starts to get dark and there till morning!!

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
...I'd thinbk those tents with a more durable groundsheet would be better personally. A but heavier but the Macpac Microlight if you can find somewhere selling them have a 10,000mm groundsheet that is made of more durable fabric than most others.

Wise words. Many/most of the lightweight tents save a lot of weight by using super light floor material. My macpac floor is tough as old boots and tent is perfect after 15 years of tough usage.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I've never really understood the whole 'breeds' thing. I can understand breeds for a working dog, but most of them aren't working dogs, it seems to me that they're more like status symbols. If anyone is thinking of getting a dog, my advice is to get down to the local rescue and ask them for the one they'd most like to get rid of. Don't let it in the house, be firm and fair, but spend some quality time together. It will dote on you for the rest of its life and you'd have to be less than human not to give some of that affection in return.

Well forgive me for having an opinion but the choice of breed is of paramount importance. Dog breeds are not status symbols but are selected for more pragmatic reasons. If I lived on the third floor in a two bed maisonette then a rottweiler would be unsuitable. Similarly, if I have a reduced mobility problem then picking up a greyhound from the rescue centre would be equally daft. Staffies are nice but their ubiquity in my area of south east London conveys a certain impression which I do not wish to replicate. Do you see what I'm getting at? The breed matters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE