good lightweight tent for backpacking & the dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi there i am after adivise on a good backpacking tent for myself & enough room to take my stafford along and a 3 or 4 season cheers Shogun

Last edited:

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i just thought i maybe need a golite hex 3 as this should do the trick...shogun

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The golite shangri-la, as the hex 3 is now called, is perfect for the job. I regularly use it when out with my dog.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Terra Nova Laser would do the job nicely too Allan, the Laser Comp might be a bit too snug though.

Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar is my new toy which would swallow you both up no problem

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Have a look at the Lightwave T1 trek. Very small packed up and light, decent room in it and you get a decent vestibule. I've had mine a few years now and are happy with it. Mines a dark green colour too, its a 4 season iiirc
icon_wink.gif

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Never ceases to amaze me that people have dogs that are tent-safe. Any of the dogs that I've had would destroy a tent the first time they heard another animal. The ones I have at the moment wouldn't even need that much, they'd just start to play and a bit of thin fabric wouldn't slow them down at all.

If I were to take them anywhere camping (not that I'd think it could ever really be safe for all concerned) I'd be thinking about a tarp, a surplus bivvy bag, some chain and a good ground anchor.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've used tent and tarp and find a tent better for my dog. In a tarp, because of its open aspect, he doesn't settle that well and goes into guard mode which doesn't make for a restful night. He can easily get out of the tent but tends not to. If I'm worried he might I sleep holding his lead.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Never ceases to amaze me that people have dogs that are tent-safe. Any of the dogs that I've had would destroy a tent the first time they heard another animal. The ones I have at the moment wouldn't even need that much, they'd just start to play and a bit of thin fabric wouldn't slow them down at all.

If I were to take them anywhere camping (not that I'd think it could ever really be safe for all concerned) I'd be thinking about a tarp, a surplus bivvy bag, some chain and a good ground anchor.

i have 2 staffords that are like the dog you mention but the older stafford i have 4 years old is a mellow dog & would be happy to sleep in a tent...lol..

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
I have a staffy thats tent safe

IMGP1193.JPG

Hammock safe

IMGP1811.JPG

and kayak safe

IMGP2719.JPG

Doesn't like bulls tho , mind you neither do I so that isn't an issue

Andy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I also tried mine in a hammock - once. I thought he would be reluctant to get in but he was quite happy to do so where he fell fast asleep on top of me. He had a very comfy night; mine was less so :puppy_dog

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool

It's all down to training the dog, Ged, I took our Jack Russell on a walk around the Lakes one winter, it slept with my mate and I in a 2 man army tent, it would put a human to shame for manners, anything outside while we slept, she'd nudge me and give a quiet growl (maybe she was sh*t scared to go and look herself). :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's all down to training the dog, Ged...

Oh I wish. :)

Mine are all rescue mutts. By the time I get them it's a bit late for training and they've usually got a few bad habits. Like eating the little crunchy bits that they find underneath the truck. Brake hoses, wiring looms, that kind of thing. But when you look at them in the rescue home, and then a few weeks later running around together in their enclosure, you wouldn't think they were the same animals.

...Now that I'm not working I'm thinking of getting a dog but I need to select the right breed. ...

I've never really understood the whole 'breeds' thing. I can understand breeds for a working dog, but most of them aren't working dogs, it seems to me that they're more like status symbols. If anyone is thinking of getting a dog, my advice is to get down to the local rescue and ask them for the one they'd most like to get rid of. Don't let it in the house, be firm and fair, but spend some quality time together. It will dote on you for the rest of its life and you'd have to be less than human not to give some of that affection in return.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What about the nails of the dog going through the groundsheets of the lighter tents? I'd worry about my expensive UL tent getting torn up by a dog scratching teh groundsheet or the walls to get out. Training indeed is important but how do you train a dog to get used to a strange shelter with thin fabric that can get easily damaged. I'm sure the dog temperament is important is how friendly it will be to the tent.

As far as breeds go I think there is nothing wrong with matching the breed characteristics best suited to you, your life and what you like to do. For example you don't want a collie if you can't get out for plenty of exercise more than once a day or if you are going to leave it on its own in the house. Intelligence in a dog with plenty of stamina can result in a heavily chewed up house when you come home after first getting it. Similarly terriers might not suit on the grounds they know their own mind and can take quite a confident owner to control at times. Even mongrels' mixes are worth knowing so you can try to assess what you are getting. Personally I'd rather a breed or breed type so I could have a chance to predict the likely needs of the dog match my needs as an owner.

Agree with rescue centres. However a good one will always match the dog to the new owner. Part of that will include knowledge of breeds or breed types as a start point. On top of that there are plenty of single breed / breed type rescue centres and organisations if you want a particular breed. Status might be part of it but if you like a breed and can get one from a rescue then you are more likely to keep the dog and not give it back perhaps.

One interesting thing about rescue centres is that different centres tend to have more of one type than others. For example IIRC Bolton is heavily loaded with Staffies but the ones in Cumbria are collies (obvious really due to too many bred on farms and the ones useless for herding often passed on for pets but not really pet material for the average family).

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Above tents are pretty good ones. The newer range of Lightwave cominng out perhaps later in the year or next year (as appeared at the German trade show) are going to be even better for stability and UK use as they are outer pitch (or inner and outer pitch) plus have a neat outer pole sleeves that don't stick out of the flysheet, i.e. smooth to the passing wind layer.

I'd thinbk those tents with a more durable groundsheet would be better personally. A but heavier but the Macpac Microlight if you can find somewhere selling them have a 10,000mm groundsheet that is made of more durable fabric than most others. Even resistant to acid from ants according to their sales blurb!!

Hilleberg atko is still the daddy for reasonably light solo tents for all season use. Scarp 1 or 2 is available from USA with two entrances and either 1 or 2 man. These two tents are similar to the laser range and atko started it all really. They all have plenty of room in the porch too if you have a bigger dog and want it outside. Just get a very good anchor indeed. I know a guy who took his goldie retriever along once. Found it the next morning as it pottered back to him when he got out of his tent looking for it. Apparently it had pulled the screw down anchor out of the ground and was roaming around for hours before he got up. Those long things that look like a foot and a half solid corkscrew with a loop on the end.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Scarp tents are truly marvellous pieces of design and construction. However, they use silnylon floors which are pretty lightweight, so I'm not sure they would be suitable for a dog. The vestibules are not all that big compared with other lightweights.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Check out my Jack wolfskin tent in my blog. My spaniel and pack fits in with me just fine, with room to spare. Its just a bit biggger then a 1 person tent without the added bulk of a 2man.

Stuart Danger

Aug 26, 2011
Chichester
I have a terra nova sololite, which I love. When I had my spaniel I had real reservations about taking him with me, the ground sheet is really thin and his claws would probably end up ripping it. He has also gone through a (thankfully) cheap thermarest thing and have always been scared of him going through my thermarest.

Solution: I bought some doggy slippers for him, which velcro up and stay on while he is in the tent. Perfect

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE