Good information about emergency mobile phone use.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Good find, Ogri..... couple of comments:

1. If you're in questionable coverage, its worth powering your phone off/on (or restarting the network select if you know how to do that). This restarts the algorithm that finds the best cell to call from. It shouldnt be needed, but sometimes the networks are quite setup as they should be
2. A voice call is always best, but if your coverage is poor an SMS has more chance of getting through, so register for that emergency SMS service. SMS certainly doesnt use different frequencies though :)
3. 999 also works in the uk (some older phones may even not have 112 hard coded as an emergency call).
4. Most phones will also make an emergency call without a SIM.
5. technology is wonderful, but I like to back it up by mundane things like letting people know roughly where i am and when I should be back.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
112 is useful as as long is there is mobile coverage, by any network (not just your own) then the call will get through. Not sure if this is the case with 999... and 112 is Europe wide, its not just restricted to the UK.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
112 is useful as as long is there is mobile coverage, by any network (not just your own) then the call will get through. Not sure if this is the case with 999... and 112 is Europe wide, its not just restricted to the UK.

Within the device itself both 999 and 112 are translated into a specific call type. So '999' or '112' arent sent over the air, instead during call setup a flag is set for 'emergency call'.

Still, as you say... better to get used to 112 since its europe wide. Of course, you're buggered if you're in the US (well, probably not, they get quite biblical about all that sorta stuff).

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great thread, very glad I watched that video. Now registered on the emergencySMS system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE