Good Find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
At the surplus store today, a girl came in for some "warm kit", the guy explained what gear he had. Bivvy jackets & fleeces mostly and also a HH Field jacket, which he described as being 80% wool!!!! :eek:
Now I remember these from years back when they were "the" piece of kit to have, and they certainly were'nt wool. So I asked him about it and he explained these were the "issue" version (complete with NSN), lovely bit of kit identical to the old field jacket - but wool - well the outer the inside is the traditional fibre pile.
And the best bit of all - less than £20
Neil

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
That is an interesting find....I never knew there was an issue version made out of wool fibre pile mixture.
Any idea if they are still made? In Norway?
Any tip on this goldmine of a surplus store and the sizes?

I've worn HH pile and it is pretty warm but I imagine the pile with wool added would be a real treat!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
The surplus store I use is Endicotts in Exeter, they have a web site, but are,nt geared up to sell via the net.
They are on the phone now - 01392 433331 - give them a ring.
They are extremely good, I have had some excellent buys from them, last year I got a brand new pair of Lundhag boots (still in the box) for £40.
Neil

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Endocotts ! they've ben around since the year dot. My uncle equipped himself from there for tramping around dartmoor in the 50's ! I used to go there as a kid.
Where are they now ? they used to be at the top of a steep hill just off the side of er King street ? in the middle of Exeter. Ther is an excellent warehouse style army surplus on one of the trading estates in Exeter (maybe its them ??)

Cheers
Rich

leon-1

Roving Rich said:
Endocotts ! they've ben around since the year dot. My uncle equipped himself from there for tramping around dartmoor in the 50's ! I used to go there as a kid.
Where are they now ? they used to be at the top of a steep hill just off the side of er King street ? in the middle of Exeter. Ther is an excellent warehouse style army surplus on one of the trading estates in Exeter (maybe its them ??)

Cheers
Rich

Rich Endicotts are still on the hill (I think it's Fore Street), just down the road from Taunton Leisure and Moorland Rambler, it has barely changed in all the time that I have known it there :) .

The other one on the trading estate was having a closing down sale a while back so I am not sure if it is still going or not, Neil1 will probably be able to tell you, but the last time I was in they were selling the 58 pattern arctic bags for £30 and shemaghs (the desert one) were about £1.50. They were a great source of cordage (paracord, straps and things) as well :) .

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
The warehouse closed down last month.
Endicotts is still the same shop, in the same place (West Street on the corner of Fore Street). What makes them so good is the vast amount of kit they stock, form current issue to real vintage kit, a couple of months a ago they got me a set of 1970's Dutch issue combat boots (very similar to our current issue boot but brown), while in there this week, as well as the HH jackets they also had old canvas framed rucksacks and new desert tiger stripe BDU's.
Neil

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Neil,

This sounds really interesting but I have no idea what an HH field jacket looks like. I had a quick search on the net for a pic but no luck. Can you describe what it looks like please?

Cheers

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I just call Endicotts and they only have one left which is big and long (which I'm not) but the very nice man said they are expecting another shipment in a few weeks time and would let Neil-1 know when they are in stock.

To save even more cash they come in various grades from £25 - £17 so if you don't mind a bit of wear (for that lived in, "I've had this old thing for years" ;) look) you can get one for £17. Fantastic.

Neil, look forward to your next post.

leon-1

Endicotts are a mine of kit, I know that these are not everyone's cup of tea, but I bought a large ALICE pack with the frame for £50, it barely seems to of ever been used (the only wear and tear I could find was on the frame) and at the time you could buy the pack for £50, but the frame would of cost a lot more.

Neil is in there quite a bit and pretty much always comes away with a good peice of kit that doesn't cost much. :)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Endicotts are a superb surplus store, they buy kit and store it away. I have had some very good buys over the last ten years. X-tra ong 58 bags, Dachstien mitts, lundhag boots, BDU's, various bergens & frames, swedish smocks, dutch goretex smock liners....... god I'll be here all night.
Suffice to say ....if you need a bit of kit give them a ring.
I have a very good working reltionship with these guys and truly think they are the best surplus in the UK.
I am thinking of setting up a West Country Bushcrafting Group and will set up a discounted range of gear for those involved, if you are interested send me a PM.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE