Good day :d

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Wen't up to my wee spot to get a some carving practice and learn to cook something more substantial than pot noodles.
Lot's of birches that are rotten so i remove the bark from a rotten stump. Got a fire going with it. Fashioned a Burtonsville rig( tripod would be better but no wood was fit for purpose and i really like the burtonsville rig) My por doesn't have a wire bale so i just cut a notch for the handle, isn't as secure as using a wire bale and a pot bale notch but i still was able to swing the hanger around quite hard without any problems.

Made stew. Browned the meat in the pot, added water and 2 oxo cubes, let that get hot then added a tattie, half a neep, a carrot and onion. Raised the pot higher to allow it to stew added salt and pepper and left to stew for 3 hours while periodically adding more wood.

While that was cooking i mixed flour and water flattened it and put it in the ashes for 40 mins which worked a treat but needs something else in it for taste, ramsoms could be nice.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The rest of the meat left over i skewered and placed in the same fasion as a spit over the fire.

While waiting on the food cooking i made another burtonsville rig pot hanger but in the spaces between the notches i carved square holes so that it could also be used as an adjustable hanger over a horizontal crosspiece.

Pulled the ashcakes out the ashes and munched it.

Then knocked up a rough bucksaw frame using the H frame, i forget to take bolts for attaching the sawblade so i improvised with wooden pegs, used the bucksaw to cut a bit of wood for a spoon then quickly knocked up a rough spoon.

The stew after 3 hours over the fire was lovely though one or two pieces of meat where slightly chewy, the roasted meat was lovely too.

Tidied everything up.

In hindsight a bowl would be nice instead of eating out the pot, a plastic chopping board would have been nice too.

Quite happy with today having nevery actually cooked anything outside to having 3 things cooking at the same time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a nice day out, much better than sitting in an office all day :(

What the chuff is a Burtonsville rig?

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Now i think of it a Burtonsville rig could be incorporated into a tripod. Add to that a bipod and a horizontal crosspiece between the tripod and bipod you could have one hell of a suspension rig.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Wen't up to my wee spot to get a some carving practice and learn to cook something more substantial than pot noodles.
Lot's of birches that are rotten so i remove the bark from a rotten stump. Got a fire going with it. Fashioned a Burtonsville rig( tripod would be better but no wood was fit for purpose and i really like the burtonsville rig) My por doesn't have a wire bale so i just cut a notch for the handle, isn't as secure as using a wire bale and a pot bale notch but i still was able to swing the hanger around quite hard without any problems.

Made stew. Browned the meat in the pot, added water and 2 oxo cubes, let that get hot then added a tattie, half a neep, a carrot and onion. Raised the pot higher to allow it to stew added salt and pepper and left to stew for 3 hours while periodically adding more wood.

While that was cooking i mixed flour and water flattened it and put it in the ashes for 40 mins which worked a treat but needs something else in it for taste, ramsoms could be nice.

Tell me more! sounds like one of my wife's recipes. :(

These bowls are what I use

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've done stew in my Swedish army cookset but I prefer Knorr cubes to Oxo cubes.

Try adding rosemary and bay leaves or bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaves, sage) to your stew - it'll turn out lovely.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE