Good compression sacks?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all.

I like the idea of having my sleeping bag already inside my bivi bag, but for this to work I need a larger compression sack.

My partner uses a compression sack for her work uniform becuase her daypack is so small and she carries a laptop around for her other job. Her's is complete trash even though it was bought from cotswold outdoor shop and priced at around £10.

I'm after some heavy duty sacks so can anyone reccomend me some in particular that are good quality and durable, please!

I was thinking about this one until I read "super-light" in the description! http://www.gaynors.co.uk/products-Sea-To-Summit-Compression-Sack-Large_061001310010.htm

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was just going to mention the Sea-to-Summit ones but like you say they're not exactly tough, I have a couple of their eVent compression bags which are great but they live inside a bigger bag on canoe trips. The thin nylon ones like Exped and S-to-S are good but made for going inside something else like a rucksack.

Alpkits dry bags on the other hand are very good I've found, they are nylon but it's some really tough stuff. I use a Gourdon and Airlock Xtra a lot and they've stood up really well to being thrown about. They're not compression but they do have a roll top which can work.

Maybe use a lightweight compression bag and then drop it into a tougher dry bag for protection ? The extra 100g or so shouldn't really be a problem

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My exped ones get a lot of use, and, touch wood, I haven't burst, torn or snagged, one yet.
They get crammed into spaces between other bits of kit, in the car, so I'm not exactly being gentle with them. Especially when the rest of the kit is everything from firebowls to baskets, bags of kindling to chairs and tents.

cheers,
M

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Just a thought, Great packing them both up together to save space, but what happens if it rains & your bivi is wet and you need to pack up and move on to another site? You would end up with a wet sleeping bag!

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Carinthia Large Compression Sack 28 x 54cm

BCB outlet on Ebay were selling these for £8 each last week, none on there at the moment but I got a couple and they are excellent. They are the same bags as used in the new MOD sleep system MCSS . They have wrap around compression straps as well as the lengthways ones. Have a scout about.

Cheers
Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE