Good but reasonably priced rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Buy bigger than you need. Gives you the luxury of easy packing and unpacking (not tetris packing) and allows you to be warmer in the winter. You dont have to fill it.

Not a fan of the one pack for all idea. There is no perfect pack, so different packs for different trips. I don't want a heavy 100 litre pack flapping about behind me for an overnight bimble, that can very uncomfortable. I would rather have a few reasonably priced packs than put my money in one pack. Personal choice though at the end of the day.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not a fan of the one pack for all idea. There is no perfect pack, so different packs for different trips. I don't want a heavy 100 litre pack flapping about behind me for an overnight bimble, that can very uncomfortable. I would rather have a few reasonably priced packs than put my money in one pack. Personal choice though at the end of the day.

That's fine if you're made of money and have lots of wardrobe space.. but you can make a cylinder out of a foam roll may to fall into. That'll so any flapping. Better to start with a big one and have choices until your kit is sorted.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The OP is pretty new to camping out so a good sized pack like the Bergen won't break the bank or his back. You don't need to fill it and you can adjust the pack, make it 'tight'. When he gains more experience he can upgrade his pack and other kit.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
That's fine if you're made of money and have lots of wardrobe space.. but you can make a cylinder out of a foam roll may to fall into. That'll so any flapping. Better to start with a big one and have choices until your kit is sorted.

You don't have to be made of money...

http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/687--army-surplus-rucksack-50-litres-new.html

the thread was about reasonably priced packs - i'm just advocating thrift, smaller cheaper pack now until you know what you want

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
The OP is pretty new to camping out so a good sized pack like the Bergen won't break the bank or his back. You don't need to fill it and you can adjust the pack, make it 'tight'. When he gains more experience he can upgrade his pack and other kit.

Bergens are pricey Rik around £50 or more - he can get sorted for less than half that - the bergen is the upgrade

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would go with an MOD surplus Bergan to start with - cheap, tough and big enough for the longest trip and if you need to carry "extras" for craft projects or bigger tools for "on site" projects, carry home wood or other stuff for "at home" projects then there is plenty of external lashing points.
I don't know how folk carry enough kit/food/tools etc for a winter weekend in a 40l bag - I struggle with a 100l bag!
When I went for months backpacking around Britain I found a 60l bag plenty .... but my Bushcraft has different kit needs :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I would go with an MOD surplus Bergan to start with - cheap, tough and big enough for the longest trip and if you need to carry "extras" for craft projects or bigger tools for "on site" projects, carry home wood or other stuff for "at home" projects then there is plenty of external lashing points.
I don't know how folk carry enough kit/food/tools etc for a winter weekend in a 40l bag - I struggle with a 100l bag!
When I went for months backpacking around Britain I found a 60l bag plenty .... but my Bushcraft has different kit needs :)

travel light, john, carry knowledge it weighs nothing.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I don't really have a budget. But that doesn't mean I want to spend a large amount of money. I'll know more when all my new kit arrives. I'll probably write a full kit list down. The thing is, at most to start with I'll probably only be doing one nighters and at most two. So how many litres would you say that is?

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll post here again in a few days.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE