Good Bushcrafters sack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was looking at the Highlander version of the issue patrol pack (Strikeforce - £40). I know the issue ones are a good item, well thought out, good sized side pockets (even a sleeve running down the back that would take an SFA), double lid pocket, and plenty big enough for a few days away (if you carry less by knowing more).They have given it a waist belt and a back system, and you can get it in plain OG :p . Definatley one to consider if you are looking for a new sack.
Neil1

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I think its this one here...
greenpp.gif

You can find it at http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/22.shtml Looks a nice little pack, lots of loops for strapping things on. Anyone know what the back-system is like?

Hope this helps

Ed

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've seen the back system on Highlanders version of the PLCE Bergen and it is much improved on the original, decent hip-belt and "air-flow" channels, assume its the same on its smaller brother.
I've seen the Forces 44 and its a big improvement (worth the extra tenner).
Neil1

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hey Tone that rucksack review is gonna be apiece of cake if we carry on like this, just a cut'n'paste job.
Has that strike force sack got detachable pockets ? Or does the the 40L include them?
I wreckon 40l would be perfect for the main sack going by my Munro 35
Cheers
Rich

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I was wondering about the different big packs that are available, idly wondering though since I don't need such a beaat just now. Over the years I've always used Berghaus or Karrimor but their big expedition style packs cost muchos dinares, around £180. Even the big army bergen sells at a fair price on the net when you can see them, and then it's seems hard to get them in plain rather than cammo

Does anyone have experience with those companies which make the copies, such as Webtex? Are they robust/comfortable enough? Are the army surplus bergens worth it, or have they had the stuffing knocked out of them getting chucked off lorries etc.

Cheers

Justin

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
dont know what they`re like now( left the marines 7 years ago) but the issue bergens plce were sh*te,especially over long distances and they had these quick release clips on the shoulder straps that broke and left the back pack more like a drag and swear pac, i`ve had my berghaus for 12 years and its still going strong and unlike the issue one its very comfortable so i reckon its worth spendidng out as it will last you for years but like i say they might have changed now but going on what friends who are still in say they are all still buying their own,hope that helps, cheers al

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I tend to agree with al, I've had to use the issue bergan and its fairly bottom to be honest with you. I too have a berghaus which has been all over the place and is still going strong. I got given another one yearts ago with a few clips broken and the lid elastic gone but I got in touch with Berghaus and they put me in touch with a company that made it like new, thats the other bonus of buying a berghaus.

Brian

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I bought a Berghaus Crusader (minus its side pockets) off of Ebay for the princely sum of £19.00.

Ok its seen some use but it'll see plenty more.

Top quality Bit of Kit.

john

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
For big packs, Cyclops Roc is pretty bombproof. Even the air movements lot haven't been able to destroy it yet - though it looks like they've had a good go.

Agree - PLCE only slightly improved but still not great.

Got lent a small desert-pattern day sack for latest Middle East jaunt - had zips for additional standard military side pockets and was very robust with clip and drawstring closure. Will try and find out who made it - well recommended. Worked well with assault vest but probably not really an issue for bushcraft work!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Interesting that most of you guys seem to like sacks with side pockets. While they're handy if you're backpacking in open country, I changed over to a smooth climbing style pack a lot of years ago and never looked back.
If your route takes you through obstacles I find the narrow 35 litre pack's lots easier than a smaller 25 litre daypack with pockets. Also more convenient if you need to fit a lot of gear in the boot of the car.
Quality wise, my vote for the toughest sacks I've seen and used over the years also goes to the classic berghaus packs.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE