Good beginner bushcraft books?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AnnieP

Sep 16, 2012
Yorkshire
Hi! I'm pretty interested in things bushcraft-related (ish... like Geology) so I was looking to do a Bushcraft course, however, all the ones that look interesting are 18+. For the sake of 6 months (I'm 17), I'd rather just read up on Bushcraft and then do a course when I'm 18!

However, there's so many conflicting opinions about which books are good for beginners and which aren't. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank-you!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I suggest getting a few of Ray Mears' books as well as Kochanski's Bushcraft. Add Wildwood wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger and you'll get through the winter allright.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
How about George Washington Sears "Woodcraft and Camping" for an historical point of view. It is still very pertinant to todays bushcrafting.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Lofty Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook, is as much (if not more) a Bushcraft book than a survival book. You can also get the full book in a "Gem" edition meaning it can fit in your pocket, or there is also free and paid editions of it as an iphone/ipod app. I don't know if there are other apps for it.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Additional. If you can get an "adult" to go with you you can learn a lot of stuff at the various meets on the forum. I've found that one of signatures on here of

"you can learn more in one week by the campfire, than six months in the classroom" Baden Powell

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
hi, you could check out Bear Grylls book "Living Wild" a guide to field craft and camping. It may not strictly be bushcraft but its got a lot of info.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
hi, you could try " Living Wild" a guide to scouting and field craft by Bear Grylls. Not strictly bush craft but lots of usefull info. :)

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
hi, you could try Bear Grylls - Living Wild a guide to scouting and fieldcraft. Not strictly bushcraft but lots of info on being outdoors etc.

oops already posted this :p

Last edited:
M

mcspringzy

I know everyone has posted a different suggestion, but I'd go for the Lofty Wiseman SAS Survival handbook, it's just under a 10er on Amazon. I've got the 1986 version and the most recent. It's pretty much a bushcraft book. Really good read, excellent life saving tips on there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE