Good alternative to photobucket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a love/hate relationship with photobucket!

I am back on the hate side of things after having sat for far too long just now trying to upload some pics to send someone here.

Does anyone have any good alternative suggestions?
- I would like to have an album I can log in to later and view my pics if I want to use them again for a different post
- easy to upload pics from a mobile device and a laptop
- easy to get the pic url to add into a forum (forum tags not essential as I can type them easily enough)
- usable at a decent speed!!!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You've got your own website Stew so why don't you have a few password access only pages where you host pics that you want to use as and when needed?

Failing that then Flikr is a good alternative to Photobucket

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i got hacked off with photobucket too and it took about 1 minute to set up a flckr account, upload and then link to some pictures! So I'll be using flicker from now on :)

I tried linking to pictures from my website and it didn't work, I think it's because I'm a technological Luddite though

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I might have to give Flickr a shot - though I'll have to collect everything from Photobucket first as I've lost many originals.
PB has just become a massive pain in the backside to use!

Ogri the trog

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Does anyone have any good alternative suggestions?
- I would like to have an album I can log in to later and view my pics if I want to use them again for a different post
- easy to upload pics from a mobile device and a laptop
- easy to get the pic url to add into a forum (forum tags not essential as I can type them easily enough)
- usable at a decent speed!!!

I think Flickr meets all those requirements. I have used it for years with very few issues. I use this method to post pictures (the process may have changed very slightly from this was written)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/how-to-insert-clickable-pictures.146470/#post-1698976

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
PB has just become a massive pain in the backside to use!

What's the issues with it Pete?

Just wondering because I don't have any trouble at all with it and recently reactivated an old account because my current one was over 80% full. I know some folks say they don't like the ads but again, because I use adblocker, this doesn't cause me any issues

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What's the issues with it Pete?

Just wondering because I don't have any trouble at all with it and recently reactivated an old account because my current one was over 80% full. I know some folks say they don't like the ads but again, because I use adblocker, this doesn't cause me any issues

80% WOW Steve, mine is only at 6%!

From memory, when I started using PB, it was easy to access, link icons would appear automatically as you hovered a cursor over each photo, just generally felt more friendly. Now, even though I have "saved" my login details, it does not recognize me so I have to re-enter the information, then click through a number of pages of advertisements that offer canvas prints, various sizes and deals to get to my photos, then the photos take an age to load and I have to right-click to get the links - it is as though I am now running someone experimental version of the program rather than a refined version. I am also running the same adblockers that I have for years but they seem to make no difference on PB.

Maybe its just me getting too long in the tooth!

Having just re-read your post, I am wondering if, because you are much more of a contributor than I am, the software runs better for you, and bombards me with nonsense because I appear to be very "new" as far as its parameters are concerned.

Ogri the trog

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You've got your own website Stew so why don't you have a few password access only pages where you host pics that you want to use as and when needed?

Failing that then Flikr is a good alternative to Photobucket

using my site sounds good, though I think I have tried in the past with some issues. PB is good at auto resizing where my site doesn't and when you later put on a forum its too big. Also, the site is actually through blogger and not as simple as it could be for uploading.

I I shall investigate flikr!

The photo bucket issues are based on how long everything takes. So laggy. Uploading pics through the app result in multiples o. The same pic because if it interrupts part way through uploading 4 pics (say the phone powers off), it starts again from pic one even if it had previously uploaded two. You can't cancel app uploads either so if I change my mind on one day I have to finish it another day if I want to use it again. The main site is seriously ad heavy and while adblocker is an option, it's not practical for me to have it on every device I use.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A quick test.....

JX31BH

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
OK, so using the flickr app on my phone now, how do I get a useable URL for forum tags in a neat way?

Currently the URL that flickr gives in the details is this:https://flic.kr/p/JX31BH now that takes it to a flickr gallery type page which has the pic in.
I can get the correct URL by then pulling it from the browser:https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8632/28189783831_36fb21279c_n.jpg

Bit long winded though - upload to flickr, get one URL, post in browser, get next URL, paste into forum post. Any way it can be simplified or is the app just junk?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Right - I'm reviving this thread. After the photobucket thing I've still not got round to organising another 3rd party image hosting site.

Is flickr still a good alternative or are there others out there now? any advice is gratefully recieved.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I'm using postimage which someone on here recommended and I'm over the moon with it. Once I had made a few albums it's a fiddle, even from my android phone

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Right - I'm reviving this thread. After the photobucket thing I've still not got round to organising another 3rd party image hosting site.

Is flickr still a good alternative or are there others out there now? any advice is gratefully recieved.

Whatever you do please don't choose a site that has adverts for 'Asian Girl' contacts running down the sides as many have (other nationalities available); it's embarrassing especially if I'm browsing with my granddaughter sat next to me!!!

I assume you want to link your photos to other forums otherwise just using the 'Full Member' privilege of uploading photos directly is the simplest and cheapest method :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Flikr is good just use the BB code set the size but also when you copy to a post you can remove most of the code so it dose not show in the post, not sure why that is?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE