Going off-grid - tips and advice welcome

Feb 17, 2017
UK
Hi everyone!
Not sure this is the right place to post but I'm after tips and advice about going off-grid.
Location: we're thinking Scandinavia as it's wild camping allowed. French Atlantic coast is nice but you can't camp there.
Stuff: What to take, essential or useless.
How: Is a bike the best way? Of can you suggest anything else?
Money: Can you really do that with hardly anything.
Experience: There are lots of blogs but I'm after your story, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Food: Can you really live off nature?
Hygiene: Where do you wash lol
Thanks.
CampingCapy

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hi everyone!
Not sure this is the right place to post but I'm after tips and advice about going off-grid.
Location: we're thinking Scandinavia as it's wild camping allowed. French Atlantic coast is nice but you can't camp there.
Experience: There are lots of blogs but I'm after your story, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Thanks.
CampingCapy

But for your convenience I will spend another 15 minutes....

Yes, camping is allowed in the nature in Scandinavia, but with some severe restrictilns. Google "right to roam Sweden' for more info. In short - stay away from private houses and gardens, respect nature and leave the place just as pristine as it was before your stay.

What to take - depends on your experience. What is your experience?
Biking is excellent in Sweden. On roads. But Sweden is large. I suggest a train, busses and then walking.
Money: Yes, you need money. Plenty of it. Scandinavia and Finland is more expensive than UK.
Experience you need, as the pkace is vast, with deep forests, plenty of lakes, rivers, swamps. Bears and wolfes.
Food: No, you can not, unless you hunt and fish. You can not legally hunt and need a permit to fish.
You can wash in all waters, lakes and rivers.

Do you want a more detailed info I and my fellow Scandinavians, we can give you that, but we need more specific questions.

Best Regards
J.P.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As soon as I win the lottery I am going to live the simple life and go off the grid.

Mainly because every where that could support me is owned by some one else and they, for what ever reason, don't want me just turning up and helping my self. Which means I am going to have to buy my own.
I will also need to buy a decent some thing to live in year round because there is going to be at least 5 or 10 nights in a year that that nice shelter I made from 10 leaves and 3 sticks will not be enough and I will die.
Plus I will need to pay for about 3 solid months of hard core training as my present skill set means "mushrooms" on toast is off the menu. I can track down half price beer but that's about it, so if I can not find food 365, I will die.
While there is an ever growing list of people who will me happy never to see me again, I think if I was to never see and chat with anyone 365 I would get cabin fever and I will die.
Come to think of it I had pneumonia not so long ago and really think that without the NHS I would have died. So I need to have a helicopter on stand by to get me help because if I get hurt / infected more then just a little bit, I will die.
So yeah, soon as I win the lottery I will be able to go off the grid..... for more than a few choice months!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As I wrote on his previous thread, you need to be a group of very skilled ( in bushcraft encompassing everything under the sun) people to be sble to live off grid.
Like they did in the hunter-gatherer times.
Sure, they lived for about 35 years or so on average.

After my Army stint, as a student, I used to do little trips into the wild, 2 to 4 days at a stretch, with only a lighter, knife and fishing stuff. Never during winter.
I did it to get my brain in order, think 'meditation'.
Despite knowing mushrooms, edible plants and the fishing, I always came back hungry like a wolf.
It just can not be done.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
You should read into the wild by Jon Krakuer. As well as being a phenomenal book it gives some insight into what the risks are of going into the bush with minimal kit. Chris McCandles was hardcore and quite well prepared (physically & mentally) for the rigours of the wild but tragically he didn't get to enjoy the Alaskan Boreal forest for long.
All the best with your wild adventures though and keep us posted about any trips! :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Hi everyone!
Thanks.
CampingCapy

Your asking some pretty basic questions there... I would recommend not bothering attempting to live off the grid. Anyone who has to ask where to wash is almost certain to fail. Stay safe, gain experience, look at it again in a few years.

Tonyuk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
As soon as I win the lottery I am going to live the simple life and go off the grid.

Mainly because every where that could support me is owned by some one else and they, for what ever reason, don't want me just turning up and helping my self. Which means I am going to have to buy my own.
I will also need to buy a decent some thing to live in year round because there is going to be at least 5 or 10 nights in a year that that nice shelter I made from 10 leaves and 3 sticks will not be enough and I will die.
Plus I will need to pay for about 3 solid months of hard core training as my present skill set means "mushrooms" on toast is off the menu. I can track down half price beer but that's about it, so if I can not find food 365, I will die.
While there is an ever growing list of people who will me happy never to see me again, I think if I was to never see and chat with anyone 365 I would get cabin fever and I will die.
Come to think of it I had pneumonia not so long ago and really think that without the NHS I would have died. So I need to have a helicopter on stand by to get me help because if I get hurt / infected more then just a little bit, I will die.
So yeah, soon as I win the lottery I will be able to go off the grid..... for more than a few choice months!

I'd like to vote this as the stickied response to anyone asking for advice about living 'off-the-land', 'off-grid' etc.

Wasn't there some remote small town in Canada or Alaska that really wanted people to move there? That's my idea of 'off-grid'. Would still need a good parcel of money for initial setup, so you start without debt. No jobs in a place like that. I'd sure like to retire somewhere like that but with my health it would be a short retirement.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
That "small town" idea did seem to me to be something that would really work. Very much back to basics and simple living but there was still a support "grid" which would reduce the chance of something petty killing you.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That "small town" idea did seem to me to be something that would really work. Very much back to basics and simple living but there was still a support "grid" which would reduce the chance of something petty killing you.

there is no difference of living in a small village or a city. You still have to pay the bills. Buy food. Work.
Simple life, back to basics?
Yes, if you move to a village somewhere in Africa or Siberia, if you look long and hard.

If you are crazy enough to try to live 100% off grid you can do it 5 miles outside the village, or 5 miles outside the city.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I spent a bit longer than that, then decided it sounded overly harsh so didn't post it. Perhaps in view of post #2 on this thread I should rethink that and post it anyway?

I bit my tongue while I was writing it so I did not have to waste more time.
Yes please post it.

the mods might be ok if you remove the words 'ignorant' and 'idiot'.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
the mods might be ok if you remove the words 'ignorant' and 'idiot'.

I don't think I used them... Oh well, here goes.

Do you mean off-grid or just doing without mains electricity, water and sewerage?

There are plenty of examples of humankind living and thriving without what we consider in the modernized countries to be essentials. Some even in Sweden and Norway, the Sami for example. In pretty much every case I've read about or seen they:

a) Exist as family or larger groups, there are no lone wolves long term.
b) Do not completely eschew the rest of the planet, they trade with it for things which cannot be made themselves or which require more time and effort than is deemed acceptable.
c) Have been born and brought up to a life where hard work during all of their waking hours is the norm, even as children. There is no 'leisure' time other than that spent gathering food.
d) Are not usually Internet connected uber bloggers, they’re too busy working

The reason I ask about 'off grid' or just avoiding the big three (power water and waste) is I was bought a book for a birthday by my sister. It was about a chap who lived 'off grid' in a converted van (fueled by diesel - grid connected - unless sufficient waste oil from - grid connected - cafes, restaurants and fast food outlets could be scavenged) and was primarily concerned with how many amps he could eke from a solar array (manufactured in grid connected factories) to power his laptop and mobile phone (both grid connected) so he could keep his blog up to date (Internet and therefore grid connected) and sporadic forays into journalism (massively grid connected and at the heart of the geo-politic) all the while desperately searching for the next (grid connected) standpipe so he didn't run out of water. Essentially it was about as off grid as I am as I type because I'm not actually using a tap or sitting on the toilet right this very moment. You will need to be very clear about your objectives during the planning phase and be ruthless about what is actually achievable.

Near to me is an enterprising couple who have started their own off grid farm. They live in a yurt which is heated by a wood stove, they have their own coppice which they manage for firewood. Their meat comes from the animals they rear. Their water comes from a stream which crosses their land and they have composting toilet facilities which they dig and move themselves. All very off grid you'd think, but that's not how they describe themselves, they just don't have mains electricity or water. In order to supplement this (ground rent and all the other fees and costs associated with running a smallholding in the UK) they also both work full time in paid jobs and are quite possibly the busiest and most hardworking people I have ever met.

On the subject of living solely off the land here's a neat statistic for you. In the neolithic the British Isles were capable of support something less than 5,000 people who were both foraging and subsistence farming and In Namibia an area of land roughly the size of Kent will be capable of supporting about 100 bushmen - all of whom are significantly better at hunting and gathering than you or I will ever be. You'll need to factor that into how much space you're going to need to keep yourself fed and healthy without access to the bins at the back of Co-op or 7-Eleven.

Foraging for protein in Scandinavia will largely mean fishing as taking of game is, unless I am mistaken, quite tightly controlled and legislated for. Now I can fish, I'm quite good at it but if I were to use only legal methods of freshwater fishing in the UK I would likely starve well within six months and you can survive in extremis for two of those months with no food at all. The productive methods of subsistence fishing, e.g. long lining and netting, are very tightly controlled and breaking the regulations will find you fined or imprisoned. As to finding sufficient carbohydrate and vegetable matter, lots of luck with that, particularly out of the seasonal growing periods in Scandinavia as the ground frost will make digging without explosives pretty much impossible. Neat way to make mashed potatoes though if you can get the required licences for the explosives.

It’s easy to be glib and ask for peoples’ credentials regarding living off the land “have you tried it?” (your first reply in the other thread you started I believe), however, you clearly haven’t, neither have you given it sufficient thought and critical analysis.

The above may sound harsh, even rude, but it isn’t meant to be. Unless you’re brutal with yourself about the realities of what is required to live solely off the land then, at best, you’re going to have a short and deeply unpleasant trip and at worst you’re going to end up as a statistic.

With very best wishes and I hope you get to live out your dream.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Sami are pretty much living like us. Electricity, indoor heating and other modernities, vehicles, food.
They use snowscooters when herding. Some use helicopter transport to and from outlaying camps.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The Sami are pretty much living like us. Electricity, indoor heating and other modernities, vehicles, food.
They use snowscooters when herding. Some use helicopter transport to and from outlaying camps.

They are now, yes. But they didn't always. People have lived in the Arctic all around the circle, skin kayaks and harpoons have been replaced by enormously powerful speedboats and rifles elsewhere too.

So it was possible but to live the historical/traditional lifestyle you would have had to be born to it and brought up with it. To say whether any of the skills required are still passed on sufficiently well for it to still be possible, even for those people born to it, is way beyond my experience of those people, but I sincerely doubt it would be possible for someone not born to them.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sorry, misunderstood you.
Everybody on this flat Earth used to live like that until gairly recently.

I doubt we can go back to that existence, we have lost too many skills and too much knowledge.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Don't be too harsh guys - after all it is a dream that many of us harbor - even if it cannot be realised

For me it is selling up the farm here in Cornwall and buying a 1000 acres of Northern Canada and building a thermally efficient log cabin and hunting and fishing and running wildlife courses for like minded indiividuals for my living

or

Returning to Africa and setting up a game farm dedicated to endangered species

or .....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE