going feral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 20, 2011
birmingham uk
the law on knifes is a problem i have got stopped with one in the countryside before copper let me go after a long talk about where it was in my backpack and the reason I had it on me. Gave me some advice about not having it on show unless in use but he did say some coppers would still arrest me for it as for land I try to get permission all the time sometimes you don’t . Was thinking of digging in to help on concealment and to stop the problem I had in the past of people taking my stuff.
Probably because it is so impossible with todays society to do so? Knife and weapons Laws and most of the land being owned by others to name but two.

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Sounds exciting... I had the same thoughts some time ago.... After explaining it to a freind, he said "Oh...You want to be a tramp!" Good point I thought.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Good luck to you, friend. I used to think about something similar. Rather than seeing it as down and out, I'd see it as a grand adventure, a quest to know yourself and ability better. Go for it, I say, if you think you can do it.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hmm, could work but you will almost certainly break a couple of laws in the proccess, the uk isnt exactly a wilderness. many years ago i spent a summer bumming around the wilds of kent. hop picking, foraging for fruit veg and meat was hit and miss and probably illegal. but it was great fun! ;) good luck.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Good luck and take a hole punch for your belt you might need it .

Unless you are doing odd jobs for cash or food or labouring for farmers or market gardens it will be very hard to stay on the right side of the law all the time .
A Pair of good boot are great but wearing them all day everyday they wont last long with the miles you will have to do to find enough food .
Even the best kit will wear and break after day to day use so you will need a plan for replacing thing along the way.
But good on you for giving it a try .

Craig.............

Last edited:

bearbait

You may like to consider a push bike with a small trailer. That way you can perhaps have space, or carrying capacity, for one or two extras. You can get around (roads) further and faster than on foot. You can also "commute" to and from your base/camp to your hunting/scavenging/occasional job area. A trailer would also be useful when scavenging hedgerows and such for firewood, or for hauling water if your camp is not close to it. If you don't want a bike but like the idea of a trailer there are hiking trailers such as this. Google will find others.

Good luck with your adventure...

Do you have a way of getting back in to society if you and when you might want to in the future? I guess you have a home now, so if you give it up could you go back to your parents for example? You don't want to make yourself homeless if it doesn't work out. Well, you say you've been there so I guess you know about it.

I hope it works out for you whatever you do but Britain is tough place to do bushcraft by day let alone live in it permanently. You will need to break laws IMO and you will need some money. Casual labour on farms and the like for a season at a time may be a good way going about it? Earn a bit and no accomodation costs?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE