going batty.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Well I certainly wasn't expecting that!

Sat at my computer browsing the web as you do. The house is locked up, all windows shut (and have been all day)

A large shadow flutters across the light - I'm thinking "that was a big moth" but I don't turn quickly enough to see what caused it.

The shadow disappears and after 20 minutes of fruitless searching for the culprit I resume my position at the PC...

Then under the table, something grabs my knee :eek:

I roll the chair back slowly to find this little chap:
bat.jpg

I opened the window for it to escape but it didn't want to leave at first....

However it turned out to be camera shy so I only managed to get the one shot (no flash so a bit blurry) before it legged (winged?) it :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at how noisy their sonic 'clicks' are up close :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a bit different :D
I hear the flittermice as they hunt along the trees beside the house, catching the moths that I'm not so fond of.

Kind of glad that so far we haven't had them in the house though :) Bet that was a bit of :yikes: moment :)

cheers,
M

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Wow! Bet that was a shock- but a nice one. We get them round here and we we used to live but I've never seen one as up lose as that! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We have a couple of roosts around us - a couple in different parts of our roof.
It always used to be that while I was away on exped a bat would come into the house and visit my wife.
Next door had it worse.... their first floor ceilings did not quite meet the top of the walls (brick walls built on top of WOODEN JOISTS!) and one day the lady of the house took a clean Terry nappy from the airing cupboard and opened it up to find a baby bat already using it!
Our loft was home to some Pipistrels (until it got too dirty for them) and several babies died after falling into an old Tea chest and not being able to get out. Their skeletons are beautiful!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE