Go Pro Hero 8 Black Reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Am in need of a new camera for my vlogging exploits on a popular video upload website where I have a channel that I'm trying to boost my subscribers.

The Go Pro Hero 8 is appealing because it comes with all the mods that gives me all the options I require in a camera. I want a screen that faces me and a shotgun mic and a light is a bonus too. I'm not interested in 4k though that is a handy option to have as all of my shooting is in 1080p 25fps. But what I especially like is that all of that fits in my pocket. Now to my knowledge there is not another camera on this Earth that can provide all that in such a small and light package and that is massively appealing. The only slight drawback is the lack of a zoom facility but I can live with that. The reviews seem to suggest the in built stabilisation is so good you don't even need a gimbal.

Currently I use an old Canon EOS 650d with the HSM 18-55mm lens and the quality is good I've no complaints there, it's just such a lump to be lugging around with me all the time (I'd say go check out my videos using the link in my signature but I think I'll get shouted at for that so I shall refrain). I also have a cheap £50 action cam I use for shots where I just want to quickly catch me walking down a path or whatever. Because I can keep it in my pocket and just whip it out quickly when required. I mostly use the Canon when I get to where I am going and I am settled in one place for a while.

I cannot imagine I'll get many replies to this one but if anyone has any thoughts It would be good to hear from you and I would really appreciate it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My brother lives in Grand Bahama. He has been a SCUBA diver for more than 50 years.
He uses GoPro for all his underwater stills and movies that he entertains me with.
Like his SCUBA gear, he demands complete reliability.
I've never read anything but praise for that camera brand.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
We have a gopro 6, the and a software is a wreck but the image stabilisation is awesome. Overall it is better than anything else we have tried. Including a canon 7d for video

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Also looking at getting one as one of my other interests is Wild Swimming in some fairly interesting places.

Even before this thread I was eyeing up the Go Pro 8

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I got the one from Amazon including the extra battery, 32gb card and the shorty. Not that I'm impatient but that was quickest delivery I could find

Not ordered any of the mods yet though. I'll knock up a video without first and see how it sounds - with sound being the main bug bear when using cameras for filming.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Anychance of an update /review of this? Does it meet your needs?

Anychance of an update /review of this? Does it meet your needs?
Two words. Absolutely brilliant.....

If you are looking specifically for a high quality lightweight setup then you won't go far wrong with this. I have now got the light and media mod too. One downside is that adding the media mod stops the unit from being waterproof but I've found that the internal mic is quality on it's own so on the occasions when I have used it in the rain I haven't really found that to be an issue. Just have to be conscious that you can pick up sound from farther afield with the media mod on so you just need to have it a bit closer if your talking to it.

I guess I can write about it all day but if you jump over to my You Tube channel the last two videos I've put up - DD Frontline XL review and the Pork Ribs were both exclusively done with the Hero 8 without the media mod (it hadn't arrived). And I'm just editing my next upload which actually includes the media mod half way through (day started wet!) and in gusts upto about 30-40mph so you'll see how well it can eliminate wind noise.

Overall, it's the best money I've spent on camera/video kit for a long while.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE