gnomish cleaver

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
:D I might just hop in one day, and cause an apoplexy. Only Wotan knows how I miss a good adventure like that! :)

Wotan, so yesterday, try Gotan. This has your passion and appreciation of dramatic stories. Shall we say this is Miss Temple and Capatain Abelard* taking a tango ?

June, 8th-10th then? You could sell some a couple of knives too.:)

https://westswoodfair.co.uk/

Just a local thing, nice and friendly, good people and camping. :)

* (Steampunk book called The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters)

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Wotan, so yesterday, try Gotan. This has your passion and appreciation of dramatic stories. Shall we say this is Miss Temple and Capatain Abelard* taking a tango ?

June, 8th-10th then? You could sell some a couple of knives too.:)

https://westswoodfair.co.uk/

Just a local thing, nice and friendly, good people and camping. :)

* (Steampunk book called The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters)

Wish I had those sweet moves ;) I have two built in peg legs :D
Actually I have been planning to make a big all around Europe trip for years. There is so much I would like to see before the reaper's visit. Last year I visited Austria as a grand rehearsal and found out that 5 days isn't enough for anything :( I would need at least a month, but probably even that time wouldn't be enough.
Don't know what to say. I would really love to go, England is on the list, next to Germany, France and Denmark, but there are so many variables...

Btw. that steam tractor is damn awesome!!! :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This old girl lives just down the road, the father and son who restored it fire it up and trundle down to the pub.

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So they actually use it? That is so cool! :)
I like these old machines so much, I even made my bike look slightly like one. :D

Not on a day to day basis, they're more for displays and shows, displaced by pneumatic tyres and diesel engined tractors. The guys up the road only fire her occasionally and go out for a run. Olive is properly restored now :)

IMG_2509.jpg

The engine that powers this saw is one of my favourites. We're lucky to have a steam fair about a 5 minute walk away. They assemble once a year before chuffing their way down to Dorset for the Great Dorset Steamfair.

IMG_2510.jpg

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Could it be the one that used to drive outside our farmhouse, on the A267? We lived between Mayfield and Heathfield, just outside Five Ashes.

A green tractor looking exactly like that really screwed up the road, pressed in 2 + 2 , inch deep 'throughs' into the tarmac. Year after year.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The problem was that the foundation under the tarmac was not 100%, due to the road being in a depression between two banks and a couple of springs on the side ( two on the land I owned). Wet and a little bit marshy a couple of feet down.

The Mains water used to break there too, not the tractor's fault though.
it is the down hill stretch just north of Five Ashes, and I used to own the Upper Cowden place. Not Upper Cowden Farm, that is owned by Mick.

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Sweet that you have such contraptions still in working condition! None has survived here. :(
There are a few big iron wheels like those, a couple of houses down the road, used as a low fence, half buried into the soil. They were probably part of something similar, but I will never know for sure.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sweet that you have such contraptions still in working condition! None has survived here. :(
There are a few big iron wheels like those, a couple of houses down the road, used as a low fence, half buried into the soil. They were probably part of something similar, but I will never know for sure.

Parts are worth some serious cash. Olive has taken over £10,000 to bring back to condition.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In your part of Europe, you must have some very interesting war (WW2) remains. Trucks, tanks. Maybe even aircraft but those I guess are in tiny pieces.
I would love a working T-34 engine.
The air raids against Ploesti, they lost quite few aircraft.

Edit: You can use the steel from a tank barrel to craft knifes from.

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
In your part of Europe, you must have some very interesting war (WW2) remains. Trucks, tanks. Maybe even aircraft but those I guess are in tiny pieces.
I would love a working T-34 engine.
The air raids against Ploesti, they lost quite few aircraft.

Edit: You can use the steel from a tank barrel to craft knifes from.
I assure you, there is none left. All were scraped!

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Yeah. :( You know, people have a different kind of mindset in the east. If they see an old machinery, which doesn't work for some reason, or it is just outdated, they throw it away to the scrapyard. See a source of income in it, never the awesomeness, heritage or history. No one restores nothing here, not counting a VERY few oddballs, they rather buy a new one.
This was exponentially true under the red era. The plebs was so poor, that I know many cases and heard even more off, that workers deliberately ruined pieces of old equipment so they could sell it to the scrapyard. It wasn't theirs, but belonged to the collective, like everything back then, so they didn't care either. The collective replaced it with a new one. And no one asked a question. The local boss's closed their eyes over things like this.
The nearby city had a huge factory, which made heavy stuff like railroad wagon wheels and such. I know of several scrapped giant power hammers, which were sold literally for peanuts! A huge loss!
Scrap iron goes for 50 bani/kg, which is 0.09 pounds for a kilogram of iron. Do the math, does it worth it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE