Glynymul Farm (Neath, Wales)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Just stumbled across this on the web earlier today....

http://www.glynymulfarm.co.uk/

(click on the "woodland camping" link).

Having been thwarted at earlier attempts to access the once publicly-owned land of the Fore$try Commi$$ion, which has long ago been sold to private investors - i.e. the same public who already owned it, and then reduced to "selective access" accordingly, all without my consent, I am now trying to find somewhere else in Wales where I can find a "wild camping" experience without having to knock on private landowner's doors like some sort of door-to-door salesman, haggling with an exchange of family photos and a sympathetic ear for the importance of killing foxes and badgers, or offering my sheep-poo-clearance services, in exchange for a night away from civilisation.

In the process of searching desparately for a third alternative, I stumbled on the above website earlier today. Have any of you good folks on this forum been there at all, and does anyone have any idea of what it's like?
It looks pretty good on their website. If it's as good in reality as it looks it may just turn my first impressions of Bushcraft from a disillusioned disaster into half-decent hope (although admittedly with the seemingly unavoidable limitation of being fixed in one place), so I'd welcome anyone's thoughts/experiences about the place.

Thanks very much :)

Last edited:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Been there and to be honest, i hated it. WHen i went with a few friends, he'd recently churned everything up with a JCB, left rotting logs all over the place and basically turned it into the somme.:pokenest:
Others who've been there have found it to their liking. :dunno:

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
WHen i went with a few friends, he'd recently churned everything up with a JCB, left rotting logs all over the place and basically turned it into the somme

Hi Nat

Thanks for sharing your experience; much appreciated. That would have spoiled things for me as well to be honest. When was it that you went? Just to get an idea of how long that mess has had to get sorted out again.

Thanks

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've been a couple times, I think it's alright for what it is. I've been to far worse places that's for sure. It's got a river running through it with anthracite coal on the banks you can use in your fire, pignuts, etc. The only problem with it is the lack of wood for fires but that's normal. Bring some wood in with you and it's happy days. As long as you're sensible you can do what you like and have a great weekend. I head for the far end where there's a big mound to camp on overlooking the river, nice and dry with trees for hammocks and parachutes. There have been threads on this place before, might be worth a search... Everybody has an opinion and this is just mine!

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Bring some wood in with you and it's happy days .... I head for the far end where there's a big mound to camp on overlooking the river, nice and dry with trees for hammocks and parachutes.

Thanks sasquatch

This is really a big help to get the opinions of other BCers who have been there before. Yes, I know it's "only your opinion" but it counts for a lot becasue it gives me some idea of the place beyond just their own advertising stuff.

Really helpful info about the big mound and taking my own wood.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Been many times, look here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40165

Its been over used really, no wood for fires there and its a 'walk in' site so watch what you take as you will have to carry it down unless Ian the site owner will take it down on his quad for you. Best to go in the drier months now as its very, very muddy or at least was on my last visit in Feb 09.

Thanks Rik

Would probably just pack it all in my rucksack anyway as I don't intend to take too much. Hoping to go at the end of this month - fingers crossed it's dry enough then, and if they have any spaces at realtively short notice. I'll email tomorrow to find out.

and thanks for the link also

Fancy joining me anyone ?

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
What about axes for woodcraft and such. Anyone tried using those on site. Is it ok ?

Forget that question, I can see mention of axes having been used (badly unfortunately) already.

Thanks

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Its a campsite
a great base camp
They are very tolerant and very helpful indeed
its not wild camping but I assume you dont wild camp or you would not be asking or looking at such sites to stay on

I met sasquatch there by coincidence so BCUK members do use it
give it a go and see what you think is all I can advise
Yes its a bit muddy at times but not as muddy as where I go from it
Enjoy

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
Hi, I was there with a few friends in Oct 2009 and even though it rained heavily we had a great time. If you follow Sasquatch's advice you can't go too far wrong, in the wet weather head for high ground and take your own wood, or you can buy it at the site. The owner also breeds rabbits for the table that you can buy to practice your skinning and camp cooking skills. Just talk to him about any tree or sapling cutting before you do any so that he can advise as to if you can and where.
Have fun, cheers.
Nigel

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Its a campsite
a great base camp
They are very tolerant and very helpful indeed
its not wild camping but I assume you dont wild camp or you would not be asking or looking at such sites to stay on

Thanks redandshane

Sound good. Yes, to be honest I would rather be wild camping but public woodland is prohibited it seems and I don't know any farmers in the area, so it's all I can find really.

But it sounds good. At least it gives some ability to setup a hammock and chill out on some pleasant surroundings from the sound of it, which is worth a lot in itself.

Thanks for your post :)

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi, I was there with a few friends in Oct 2009 and even though it rained heavily we had a great time. If you follow Sasquatch's advice you can't go too far wrong, in the wet weather head for high ground and take your own wood, or you can buy it at the site. The owner also breeds rabbits for the table that you can buy to practice your skinning and camp cooking skills. Just talk to him about any tree or sapling cutting before you do any so that he can advise as to if you can and where.
Have fun, cheers.
Nigel

Thanks Taffy (Nigel)

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
I have emailed the farm this evening to see how they are fixed for the back end of the last week of April (28, 29, 30), so I'll see what they come back with.

But seriously, if anyone fancies joining me for a couple of nights I'd love to meet some of you guys and share the odd beer or two, I could shift everything on a day or two later to encompass the w'end (subject to space available at the camp) if anyone wants to join in.

Short notice I know, but please give it some thought ?? :dunno:

Cheers

Neal

P.S. If they haven't got enough space there's always the place Rik_UK mentioned in his earlier post. Admittedly not proper wild camping, but it would be a chance for a meet up.

Last edited:

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
I'm all set. I have spoken to Ian and the bank holiday weekend is booked solid (no suprise there really I suppose), but he reckons it's fairly quiet during the week at the moment so I'm going to head up there for the Wednesday & Thursday (28 & 29 April).

If any of you do happen to find yourselves in the area, and spot a wheezing. breathless fat guy trying to demonstrate to a bored looking Springer Spaniel how not to light a fire with a bow drill, please pop over and say hello. I'll pack a larger bottle of Scotch, just in case.

Cheers

P.S. Thanks again everyone for all the info on the place

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Hope you have a good time. I've had a look around on the internet for suitable campsites myself and you may be interested in

http://www.bushcraftadventures.com/bushcamp.html

or

http://www.clynefarm.com/accommodation/camping.htm

But i've not camped at either and i can't give any recommendations. I know the Yellow Wood has room over the bank holiday because i was planning to go myself & emailed them.

Thanks bivouac. Looks like some useful places there, especially the first one. I've bookmarked them both.

Cheers for that goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE