Glyn Y Mul farm Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just a few words about Glyn Y Mul farm and those words are Bloomin' Excellent !!

The Pikey and I had a few spare days recently so we mosey'd on down to Glyn Y Mul and were met by Ian the camp owner who was a top bloke, if he was any more chilled out he'd be a polar bear. He gave us the lowdown on the camp rules and where you can camp which is either on the main site (mown lawns, leccy hookups and your fire in half a beer keg etc) or a quick jaunt over the railway (4 mins walk) into 18 acres of broadleaved woodland with the river at the bottom. Here we stayed for 3 nights and met a great couple called Mike & Jo. there are plenty of firepits and trees to put your hammock,tarp or tent and if you fancy a power shower, flushing loo or to use the toaster or microwave a 4 minute walk has you back in civilisation. The site also has a sort of shop with basic essentials like bottled water etc. This is an honesty box system. Take what you need and put your money in the box. We never actually got to give Ian our camp fees as it was always "pay me later lads" so when we left one of the caravanners took the fees for him. (apparently he always does it ). So if you'd like a chilled camp that can be both civilised and Back to basics this is the place. If you want a nightclub, beer garden pool tables and video games, this isn't the place for you. Just pure outdoor fun !! Will we be going back?? HELL YEAH !!

Pictures they say are worth a thousand words, so here are a few we took.

Woody stuff

1gmdl0.jpg

Bivvy Up

1gm2ov8.jpg

The railway

1gm3rw1.jpg

More of the woods

1gm4nl0.jpg

Frodo the Bushcraft Doggy loved it too

1gm5ic4.jpg

The River

1gm6wa1.jpg

And finally waiting for a nightcap.....

1gm7ut6.jpg

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
sounds like a nice place run by nice people, pity wales is so very far away from me :(, (at least till i get a new car :p)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Top spot! We went down there for the South Wales meets last weekend and it really is that good. We loved every minute and the woods are tremendous! Nice review Dave.:)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Probably a daft question but where is it Wales? I guess south Wales fella.... looks like a bit of of a weekender coming up!dave

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a great spot, nice to know sites like this exist.
Any fish in that river? If aloud to.
Cheers for the review.:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is a great place for bushcraft, and I think that the S.Wales meet is going to be held there on a few more occasions! Although I can see it getting a bit boggy near the river over the winter period.
By the way it located just north of junction 43 on the M4 (nr Neath).
Costs are £4 per adult per night and £2.50 for kids. Well worth the money IMHO.
Some of us are looking at going there after New Year so anyone who can make it check the S.Wales Meet thread for dates.

Just one tip though, if you intened to leave your rubbish bagged up for Ian(the owner) to take away make sure it is seperated for recycling purposes.
ie. plastic in one bag, cans in another etc.
If you don't, you'll find out how Ian goes a bit :aargh4:! :banghead: !:cussing: !

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Keep saying that I will have to get down there myself. "I will have to get down there"

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just told the wife, Looks of "Oh you are are you??" and "And how you getting there then....."

I'll bung her up north with her folks then get her dad to come aswell.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
I went there with my wife in august this year and it is a great place to go despite one of the wettest summers in years we managed to find a dry spot for camping and had a blast

not much fire wood left due to the number of people that have been there but they sell some up by the proper campsite so no worries about it.

and some bits of the river are deep enough to swim in if bloody cold

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I had the place to myself on a Winter's night a couple of years ago. Not too boggy, but the area by the river is a hell of a cold sink. I had a great time, the country needs more places like it.

I'm glad to hear it's being well looked after. There was pikey-sign there when I went. Some hazel had been cut down, nailed together into goal-posts and was left lying around.

Sort of a cross between bushcraft and vandalism. 'Pikecraft' anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE