Gluing Leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'm trying to find out which Glue? I should use as I'm going to glue a Ferro-Rod Sleeve / Holder to 1 of my Knife Sheaths.
And tbh I've Googled the hell out for 1 Defiant Type and I still ain't sure.
cheers

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Gorilla glue, the foaming urethane type, works well in some situations. I have used Zap Goo on a number of things, and while it is strong, it isn't so good if I have to sand multiple layers with glue joins for, say, a welt. Tends to pull and pill at the joins, where the Gorilla glue sets hard and sands easy.

There is a difference between "best" and "more than adequate". I think you need the latter, and most contact adhesives will do. If you planned to do more work, then maybe spending a little more time and effort getting "best" would be worth it.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Good leather shoes are sewn together but have on glued rubber soles.

I would simply bring the sheath to a shoemaker in town. That's surely cheaper than buying the glue.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
If you're planning on just gluing the sleeve onto your sheath without stitching then no glue will hold for long but if you just want to glue it in place before stiching then any contact adhesive would work provided the area on the sheath where the sleeve is to be placed has been stripped of waxes & oils & sanded to give the glue something to grip onto. Neoprene contact adhesive has the advantage that it can be rubbed off when dry so you don't have to worry too much about going over the edges.
That said, if this is a finshed sheath I don't see how you can sew something onto it without taking it apart.

Last edited:

eungang

Jul 5, 2021
South Korea
I usually just use contact cement, or sometimes even just double sided tape if I'm looking for a temporary hold in order to stitch a bit more easily.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
I use uhu prior to stitching but I would always stitch leather I want to secure.

You can undo a few stitches along the welt, glue and re-stitch as a quick easy fix if using thin leather.

Alternatively remove a section of the welt if using thicker leather (gluing and re-stitching)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a really old and leather-covered instrument(?) case. Several flaps of leather have come adrift. Can I use plain woodworker's PVA glue to stick them back down again? I can't imagine a situation where the leather would ever be expected to flex like a shoe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE