Glue for suede

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Hi all,

I was looking at a friend's medicine pouch the other day, and found that the seams had been glued as well as stitched. Does anyone know if there is a particular glue that is good for suede/that kind of thing. I looked on the leprevo site, but it doesn't have a description of the glue they sell so I don't know if it would be appropriate or not. :confused:

Many thanks.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tony said:
What did they used to use? Are animal glues any good for leather? Or the sap based ones...

Would depend on available materials - generally for buckskin that wouldnt glue it as its so soft and that is why it is used for clothing ect - but it a glue was called for it would be either boiled hide/hoof or fish skins. These retain a certain amount of flex and as such give leather a greater advantage over glues like resin which would be to brittle.

Fish skin glue looses its stick in water mind you - and evostick can be re-adjusted after setting by warming the leather to soften the glue (I used to stick rubber soles on mocassins with evostick and when the sole wore out just warm it - peel it off and replace it - gives your moc's much longer life spans!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE