Glove love?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm thinking of getting some new gloves.

I have some mid size fleece gloves which are fine in the cold and dry but as soon as they get wet they're pretty horrible.
I also have some big Solamon gauntlet type ski gloves which are great for snow days but a bit of overkill for general use.

I managed to get to a Cotswold Outdoors yesterday to try some on and liked the Sealskinz All Season Glove.
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/all-season-gloves-black

It seems a good ompromise of size, fit, dexterity.

Before I push the button does anyone have any suggestions of similar gloves that they love for me to have a look at please? :)
A fair expens that I don't mind spending but like to do my research first to try get it right first time!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've heard waterproof gloves such as Sealskinz are pretty useless once they get wet inside, I've never tried a pair though. For hill walking I wear a pair of close fitting Powerstretch gloves and if needed a Paclite mitt over the top, for bushy trips I use wool fingerless gloves or a pair of leather rigger gloves. I've been looking at getting new gloves myself recently, looking at the hunting store websites for some ideas, it looks like a decent pair of leather or suede outers and a merino liner is the way to go.

5ette Highlines with a merino liner are looking favourite at the moment

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got some sealskins and I do love them but they aren't needed unless it's properly cold. I've Recently got some Macwet gloves for shooting and general use and they are superb. I can cock, load and shoot a pellet in an air rifle with ease - they are super grippy and even more so when they're damp. I've got the insulated ones but they are still ver very thin and perfect for shooting/fishing. If I need to yank brambles etc I'll use sealskins or sometimes garden gloves. Though the Macwers are by far my favourite :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I picked up a pair of those army ones at driffield steam rally a couple of years back for £1, wish i got a few more now

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have both the seal skinz outdoor sports glove (with the floppy trigger finger and thumb). hey really are great for my photography and still keep my hands nice and warm and reasonably dry (obviously as the 2 fingers can fold back they aren't totally waterproof). and the Hestra Falt guide glove for when it really nippy. again, a superb glove and i spend the whole summer waiting for it to get cold enough to wear them. Not so good for dexterous wrk or in the wet mind.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Soldier 95 leather with goretex membrane. Super warm, all round great gloves

+2
I had Sealskinz and they let water in when I held a wet umbrella. I got them replaced and the new ones were better but not great. From subsequent reading on the net there are quality control issues so if you get a good pair they're great but many leak from below par stitching.

I bought two pairs of Soldier 95s after seeing them recommended on here. One lives in the car and has been used to prise tyres out of near-freezing water filled wheel wells and the other pair I wear with a suit for work. The only comments Ive ever had are colleagues asking where I got them.
Warm, breathable, smart, cheap. What's not to like?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE