Ginger Plant Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Might need the help of the booze gurus: Gregorach and British Red here, but if anyone out there is in the know I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

I'm making a Ginger Beer Plant for a batch of 50 pints of Ginger Beer as a winter warmer at the moment. I've tripled an old recipe for the plant in a book I have and all is going well so far. I will triple the amount for the rest of the recipe in a week’s time.

I want to know how to keep the plant for use later on. As I'm making 50 pints in one shot I don't need to keep my plant feeding regime rolling after the first week as it will take me and other lucky friends/family longer than a week to finish 50 pints. I'm thinking of racking it all off into a King Keg. I've only bottled before so this might be fun! (Will it work?)

My question to the experts is: Is there any way of keeping/storing the plant in a dormant state? Do I just deprive it of water or put it in the fridge or freezer?

Cheers all............hc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It just needs, think of a bonsai, it still needs everything, but in tiny quantities and kept cold. You don't want to kill it, just really, really slow it down.

Instead of feeding daily and weekly, do it weekly and monthly and keep in mind an ideal 'amount' and when it gets over than throw half away.

Mine lasted for about four years until a fridge clear out when I was off digging saw it in the compost heap :sigh:

Bound to be other folks who've managed it a lot better than I did though.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep. its a living thing. It must be fed but can become sleepy :)

Only keep a small amount and keep it fed but cool. Never tried kegging ginger beer - I see no reason why it wont work though

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apart from blowing up :eek:
Literally, a bottle blew up my neighbour's kitchen, straight through a 2" worktop :eek:

It's called lively, for a very good reason :D

Nice idea, I haven't brewed it for a while; I think it's time :D

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Want to publish your way Toddy, not done it for years so I might as well use your way as another....

Sorry Toddy: I should have included you as a booze Goddess :) I have some impressive shed damage from my elderflower fizz earlier this year so my condolences to your friend's kitchen work top. Lucky the KK has a safety pressure valve if things get tough. I'm thinking of fermenting it for a bit in a FV for a bit first though.

At the moment I have tripled the book's recommended daily feed as I'm doing quite a large plant for the 50 pints. I'm thinking this should be ok as I will need the extra sugar and ginger for the final 50 pints which is a fair amount that requires all this extra flavour. I like it quite hot.

It's a 2 litre plant in a demi john to which I am adding 6xtsp ginger and 12xtsp soft brown sugar every day. Does that sound ok?

What do you think I should tone it down to after it's initial work is done? (Just sugar? Or ginger too?)

So many questions - What an ape I am........hc

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Toddy is wiser than me on ginger beer so I'll leave her to answer.

On point on the King Keg - have you bought it yet? If not, do you plan on a top or bottom tap model? I had a lot of trouble with top taps so have switched to bottom tap.

Red

...On point on the King Keg - have you bought it yet? If not, do you plan on a top or bottom tap model? I had a lot of trouble with top taps so have switched to bottom tap.

Red

Hi Red - Yes I have 2 very well utilised KKs that are both top taps. One of them is the business and the other is the nasty twin with severe issues. A true story - It had a run in with the dog while drying it out in the garden (the KK not the dog). That resulted in the float being eaten and the joint between float and tap being damaged. I replaced the lot and that solved that issue. But in the wrestling match between the two, the KK suffered a hairline crack on one of the seams. This wasn't a problem until the beer started to prime and the resulting pressure caused it to leak. Luckily I was using a Milestone kit which wasn't great and the bag load of sediment blocked any more loss of beer. I've resealed it in the hope it's not going to harbour too much bacteria or split again.

Lesson learnt - Bottom Tap next purchase...!

The dog, by the way, has lots of hair line cracks in her after that incedent............hc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HC you have my sympathy with the Elderflower. I once came home from holiday with two toddlers and an eight week old guide dog puppy to find my kitchen covered in sticky glass shards :( from the floor to the ceiling, from the corners to the curtains. That was not fun :sigh:
I'm no brewing guru like BR and Gregorach, but the domestic sized stuffs, those I can do :)

Ginger beer plant :D
Really simple; keep it warm, keep it well fed, happy and thriving when you're multiplying, otherwise keep it lean and hungry and cold.
It's not really a 'mother' like the vinegar, but it's like sourdough, if you get it right, it's worth keeping it right.

This is the recipe as I wrote it into my notebook, so there are little comments.

Ginger Beer (In a hot summer be careful or the bottles may explode)

To start the Plant
1/2 oz yeast (bread yeast will do, but use fresh if possible then a chunk about the size of a walnut is needed, better yet if some from a mash is rescued and used)
3/4 pint of warm water
2 tspfls of ground ginger (a 1" cube of ginger root, grated, is fine and it makes straining the plant easier)
2 tspfls of sugar (don't use honey, it doesn't work well, soft brown was very good indeed though )

Mix these all together in a bottle and shake it very well. Leave the bottle in a warm place for 24 hours.
Then, feed it daily with 1 tspfl of ginger and 1 tspfl of sugar, and again, shake well. Be Careful As the yeast ferments there's a lot of gas & it needs to escape.
Repeat this feeding for six days.

Dissolve 1 and 1/2 lbs of sugar in 2pints of very hot water. Leave this to cool to blood heat and stir in the juice of two lemons. Now add the starter liquid. Mix it really well, trying to keep it warm but not hot.
Then strain it through a fine cloot (cloth). (Keep the strainings, this plant is the starter for the next batch)

[/B]Dilute this liquid with 5pints of water with the chill off. Not hot, not even blood heat, it's best any yeast now works slow.
Mix well, and pour into bottles.
There will be yeast left in the liquid so it will start to ferment in the bottles unless they are kept very cold.
Check them frequently, releasing the gas carefully (formula one has nothing on this stuff erupting) over the sink at the very least and outside if at suspect.
After a week it's ready to drink.

It is best drunk very soon after it's fizzy in the bottle. Children love it and the ginger is very good for the digestion.

The strainings meanwhile will have picked up some of the wild yeasts in the air, but there should be enough of themselves to keep alive in a jar with just a spoonful of sugar and a tablespoonful of water added once a week or so, so long as it's kept cold. The occasional addition of a wee bit of grated ginger doesn't go amiss either.
When the plant has grown to twice it's size scoop out half and throw it into the compost heap. If the plant is allowed to grow indefinitely it will rapidly fill any container it's allowed.
When the next batch is needed, take out half of the plant and brew up as before.
By keeping half of it by it means that the original yeast mix should still run true.

Billy blew up Anne's kitchen with this stuff, because he drank half the bottle and put it away in the cupboard. We think it was there for less than a week in the warmth of the kitchen before it exploded. It blasted the top of the glass Irn Bru bottle straight up like a rocket through a 2" worktop and bounced a plate sized piece of it off the ceiling.
Plastic bottles eventually blow their caps too and are a nightmare to open safely. Standing back and hitting with a spear or airpistol is effective if a touch dramatic. Besides, it's a waste of good Ginger Beer.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
HC,

I'm thinking what you are. This calls for a pressure relieving barrel and some minimal priming sugar!

:)

Cracking reply Toddy - Thank you. I've used an almost identical recipe but tripled the quantities. John Seymours' neighbour's/family friends were successful home/country brewers because they made batches of booze in large quantities. Or so he says - And so I'll emulate :) I love your idea of "bomb disposal" with a spear. Also glad, as like Red, you are another brown sugar fan - Refined white is so last tea cup.

Previously I have thrown away the whole GBP and just started again when a new batch is needed. But I'm keen to try "fostering" a plant for some time and it's more respectful to all forces at work. I guess it's experience when it come to guaging how much plant to add to a starter plant and then how much ginger to give it heat.

This time I want to make quite a pokey GB for adults only with at least a 5% ABV. How on earth do I measure the OG? Normally I minus the FG from the OG and divide by 7.46. So what do you measure to get the OG? Do I measure the plant gravity in one reading and then the gravity of the sugar, lemon and water that the plant will be added to and then divide by two to get an average? Then finally the FG that is in the FV when fermentation has stopped and ready to be racked to a KK? Then that's when I'll prime with a bit more soft brown sugar in a KK. (Enter stage left Gregorach to do the maths) Help!

Next medicinal brew in mind is liquorice root beer. (I hear you mustn't drink too much though) Yum....hc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There is the other recipe :D

It adds two whole chillis to the bucket of brew and it's left to sit and froth for two days, with a tablespoonful of sugar added each day.
The oldest recipe I have adds a few dried plums to the brew every day with the ginger, and a wineglassful of brandy or whisky to the final bottles to kill off the yeasts. This stuff was then chilled and served in Summer for ladies who were, "fatigued by the heat" :D I don't know if that would totally lose the fizz though :dunno: I like the fizziness.

Funnily enough, the same stuff was recommended for those who had gotten a "cold hoast". That's an irritating tickley cough in the throat from a runny nose.

M

As I'm sitting here listening to my ginger plant talking in tongues (ok demi john with an airlock) I've decided I like fizz too, so might skip the killer whisky/brandy recipe. I like the prune idea as I've had loads of successs with raisins in different brews.

I'm very interested in the chilli recipe. A friend has mentioned ground cheyenne pepper. Would chilli kill the yeast do you know?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No the chilli doesn't seem to harm the yeast at all.

As for the %alcohol, the fizzy on the tongue was how they used to do it, somewhere I have a cardboard tube with a funny glass thing inside, I get HWMBLT to work some kind of magic with it :D :eek:

cheers,
M

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you couldn't realistically measure OG HC because there would already be some alcohol in the mix. Volume wise it can't be that high though or the eyast would die. Maybe add 0.5% to the final ABV?

Toddy: Thanks for the brilliant help. (Think chillis are going in) Still working out what HWMBLT stands for! Heh heh.

Red: I think I'll float my hydrometer just before I rack off to the KK and take a "Potential Alcohol % v/v reading.

I quickly worked out the cost/pint and I get a stagering 20p/pint which isn't bad. Farmers' Market for me methinks with a bit of practice........hc

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
I have always read that you must add cream of tartar to the final misture. Is this correct?
Anyone can give me some hint?

I love ginger beer, I think I have doubled Bundaberg's income during my last trip to Australia with all the bottles I have bought, but here in Italy it's impossibile to find it so I must try with home brewing..
Cheers, Paolo

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Must've missed this one... Never done ginger beer myself, but putting your "plant" in the fridge should slow the yeast right down - eventually. ;) I'd probably keep it in a sealed container (pressure-safe, so something like a PET pop bottle) to exclude oxygen and other contaminants, and "burp" it every day or so until it goes more-or-less dormant (keep burping it every now and then though). Once it's dormant, you should be able to keep it for at least a couple of months. When you want to re-activate it, just let it come back up to room temperature, add sugar and give it a good shake - it should take off again in a matter of hours.

I love my top-tap KK, but only since I replaced its drum tap with a proper Dalex flip tap...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've just bought repacement taps for both my KKs. The supplied ones are truly woeful. I have had two leaks over the years

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Toddy, Toddy, Toddy.

Real ginger beer doesn't have yeast in it =)

PM me your address and I'll sort you out an original heritage ginger beer plant - may take a few weeks to get it going again though.

Please, no-one else contact me, I've got a list ten times longer than my arm of people I've said no to... enthusiasts only =)

Just for notes, ginger beer plant is a bit like jelly as it's a symbiotic organism of which there are only a couple of examples of in nature.

http://gingerbeerplant.net/NewScientistArticle.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE