Gillie kettle - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
yes but kellys are better but i would say that having two of them and wanting a third

The difference in quality is only really apparent when you compare the cooksets the kelly one is made of pressed aluminium whereas the Ghillie is made of spun aluminium but more expensive.

The ghillie kettle is sold by spinform the kelly is sold through Kelly kettles network of dealers

The pot stands are completely different designs the kelly one is made from 2 flat pieces of aluminium and slots inside the neck , storage of the kelly potstand is much easier because of this
the ghillie potstand sits around the outside of the neck and is a 5mm steel wire construction but is quite bulky hence the larger bag provided
cooking time on top is limited to around 4 - 5 minutes unless you wish to melt your kettle but you can always add more water as it boils away

the old dilemma still persists whether the whistle of the ghillie is better than the cork of the kelly.

When one of these boils you know about it unless you have wandered off so the cork of the kelly will come in more handy as you can carry the water once boiled without spilling it

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I love my ghillie kettle, take it everytime I'm out in the boat. I didn't fancy the cookset so gave it to one of the boys on here, it was the over the firebowl type rather than on top of the kettle. Always thought that'd be a bit wobbly...?

Shame the bag it comes in is like a swimming bag from school - and not fitted or with pockets or anything i suppose it would stop ur other things getting dirty but not fitted at all.

I thought so too so got it some new clothes

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE