Giant Puffballs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I found a nice ring of them last night and made a short video.
Had a load for dinner tonight, really really tasty.

[video=youtube;7IbG0mjOZio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbG0mjOZio&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice find!

I saw a big old one in a graveyard a week ago, the snails had gone to town on it and it fell apart like cottage cheese when I 'dropped' it! Lol

I also remember seeing them on a golf course years ago, once they'd dried up and turned into brown bouncy sponges they were hilarious to kick around. The ammount of spores that came off of them was amazing. I like to think I helped spread their seed!

Jun 10, 2014
United Kingdom
I found a huge one last year while out with the shotgun hunting for pheasants so I left it where it was only to come back a few hours later to find some one else had gotten to it first. Gutted just did not come close to explaining how peed off I was at not picking it up rite away.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I remember finding one age about 6 or 7. I truly wanted to believe it was a dinosaur egg! For years we used to get them in an old field that had been a midden years ago. They were fantastic and prolific. We always left enough to allow the spores to replenish the site. Gradually they got less and less until we found out a guy was coming out from Glasgow and steeling them to sell to restaurants at £50 a pop! He was too greedy and we no longer have any.
As previously mentioned simply fried in bacon fat. Lovley.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Theyre OK for eating but nothing exciting. For me they definitely need something to accompany it that has a good amount of flavour that will leech into it.

I think the last one I cooked, I chopped the top off, hollowed out then fried the innards with mince, onions, spices, etc. Then restuffed it, lid back on and bake for a 'while'.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Theyre OK for eating but nothing exciting. For me they definitely need something to accompany it that has a good amount of flavour that will leech into it.

Same here Stew, have done the egg and breadcrumbs thing, it's good to give it some texture, and goes well with bacon and eggs, but can't say I found them particularly flavour packed, still nice to find and eat mind :)

Cheers, Paul

Ali Graham

May 16, 2011
Doncaster
Wow, I never knew they got that big. I found some Puffballs in my back garden, they are probably about 2 inch in diameter. Will they be from the same family as these big ones and are they edable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE