Getting snaps of Roe Deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Afternoon All,

During my afternoon dog walks, I often let the dog set the route and just follow behind, this usually results in me following animal trails around the woods and seeing what we find along the way. I've spotted quite a few deer in the woods and there's three spots that look to be where they sleep.

I'd love to get a picture of them coming in and out of their sleeping areas so I figured a trail cam would be the ticket.

Has anyone got any tips and tricks for doing this?

Kind regards,

Ollie

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
  1. Buy a trailcam
  2. Attach trailcam to tree overlooking the trail
If it's not your land, then make sure you hide it well and remember where you've put it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mount the cam and let it take a couple of pics by moving in front of it so as to check it’s angled right. Only other thing to check is weather conditions. My cheapo cam has several sensitivity settings and it’s annoying to come back to the camera to see you’ve got 200 pictures of a branch moving in the wind.

• Haha
Reactions: woodspirits

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Learn to read the game trails. Scuff old footprints in damp soil to make a better record of animal movement time.

Always, always check the dog for ticks. Ticks are attracted to the scent of urine, common along game trails in a forest. They climb the shrubs to grab anything that moves past them, even a tick-collecting white cloth.

Nice 65 has good advice about the wind!

Reactions: MrEd

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Good Afternoon All,

During my afternoon dog walks, I often let the dog set the route and just follow behind, this usually results in me following animal trails around the woods and seeing what we find along the way. I've spotted quite a few deer in the woods and there's three spots that look to be where they sleep.

I'd love to get a picture of them coming in and out of their sleeping areas so I figured a trail cam would be the ticket.

Kind regards,

Ollie
They tend to come out the woods at first light and dusk to eat the wheat in farmers fields , I usually sit and wait around these times just be carefull of the wind

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
They tend to come out the woods at first light and dusk to eat the wheat in farmers fields , I usually sit and wait around these times just be carefull of the wind
I can confirm that they get into the standing wheat before dusk and snack on it:

I can’t offer much more advice than has been noted above, apart from walk quietly and carry a camera. This field has now been harvested, so you might need to get your trail cam sorted soon if you want to catch them moving into similar fields.

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
Not sure if this will work. You have just missed the Roe rut but as stated find some tracks and be out at dusk and dawn. The caller does work with does as well as bucks. Plenty of tutorials on you tube!

Attachments

• DC78B66E-B73B-4770-8293-D912FE4563DA.jpeg
    DC78B66E-B73B-4770-8293-D912FE4563DA.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 5

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Good Afternoon All,

Kind regards,

Ollie
look for droppings, they not unlike rabbit droppings but bullet shaped ,cylindrical on one side flat on other , they also leave rings were they chase each other round trees seems you've already found bedding down areas :),roe is my favourite deer species by far there beautifull and mysterious I usually see them at dusk, and dawn eating wheat in farmers f ields that skirt woodland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE