Getting rope clean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Been having a good sort out and I have found some rope, all artificial and some braided, 3 ply types.

but all grubby

How is best to clean rope?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That might do it but I have a good bagful to clean. could I put them in a pillowcase and into the washing machine?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine ended up so covered in mud that I filled a black bin with just warm water and Fairy Liquid, put them in and let them soak overnight. Moved them around a fair bit in it to loosen off the mud and grime, and then pulled them out wiping along them with the old sponge/scourer thing from the kitchen sink. Astonishing just how much grit and gunk can get onto a rope. There was a sandy/gritty layer at the bottom of the bin when I was finished. I just rinsed the ropes in loads of clean water and loosely stretched them out to air dry between the washing poles.

I did the same with Son1's climbing ropes many years ago too.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If doesn't have to be cleaned, then don't clean it. Is it rope that is expected to take its safe working load? A pressure washer will mess with the strand structure, detergents are ok if mild. I have washed climbing rope that had chainsaw fuel spilt on it to get the oils away from the plastics, but other than that I'd not bother.

If it's for splicing practice, which is infuriating fun, then chuck them in the washer. You will be needing a fid. The smaller one or similar.

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/rig...MI1sPPxpmX2gIVbSjTCh0liAK-EAkYAyABEgKZJPD_BwE

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Clean rope makes a boat looked shipshape

(One day I will tackle Sools paint problem which covers about 99% of her)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE