Getting leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Oxfam shop

I have brought old skirts and jackets in the past for only a fiver and got some nice bits.

Takes ages unpicking the seams mind

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I could send you some, I buy upholstery offcuts* by weight (about a quid a pound), I've posted 5lb to other friends (postage was under 7 squids)

*Their idea of scrap is anything smaller then a square foot of usable leather, scars, brands, holes and flaws mean that some of the bits are quite big.....and full of 'Character'

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Boot fairs are the other obvious source. It's where I get mine.
For sheaths you need to look for thick leather such as you find on workmen's boots or biker boots.
For pouches and the like then old leather/suede jackets are ideal.
Make sure you choose jackets/boots/whatever that have large panels of plain leather, rather than stitched together smaller panels. That way you have more versatility and can make bigger things.
Charity shops are also a good source, as mentioned above. However, do remember that Oxfam is very much a 'trendy' choice for retro clothes, and so can be a tad more expensive than some of the local charity shops. If that's not too mean...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just confirming what everyone else has already said, old leather three piece suites/furniture in general is an excellent source of pouch leather.
using old boots etc is also good for building your skill's before taking the plunge and actually buying sides/shoulders etc.
Le Prevo is unbeatable in my experience.
R.B.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
078 in leather sides, 2.5mm thick. I think jackets and leather sofa leather far too thin for sheathes to be honest. If you can hold on I'll sell you a sheath blank size piece next time I get a side (at cost)

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Out of interest how mush does a side cost Dougster.I'm getting round to the idea of making my own bits and bobs also so any info is greatly received. Recommend any good books too??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE