getting knoted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
hi the other day i relised how importent it is to have quick relese knots espeshaly cuz my hands were cold it made me relize that myn were not very good useable but still fidly could you guy and gals let show me the best knots thanks gaz any pics would be helpful

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Hi fella's

Can I suggest you have a peek at Ray Mears bushcraft book, or any other one, he describes a few release knots in detail with some good piccies.

I reckon tape would be better for your hammock and para cord for your net and basha.

Hope that helps.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
And if I could just chip in another question Gaz, on your thread.....

Which is better to use on a hammock ....tape, para cord or other?

John

I personally use this set up.

From Point North you can get 10m of 20mm of tape and two 5mm by 35mm steel O rings for £5.00 posted.

Oh and get the black tape last time I order green it was bright bright green. It almost glows in the dark. :eek:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
innocent bystander said:
Now that might not be such a bad thing !! :)

I know what you mean. With the bright green tape I also order 30m of very bright yellow 3mm cord for guy lines. Got bored with being garrotted in the dark after a few beers. :D

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
everyone gets in before me!!!!! I was having a bash at those evenki knots today and was really taken with them....spooky

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Angus Og said:
I know what you mean. With the bright green tape I also order 30m of very bright yellow 3mm cord for guy lines. Got bored with being garrotted in the dark after a few beers. :D

Garroting i can just about cope with - tripping over in the dark really ticks me off - i always end up spilling my beer :D

And the "evenk" knot really surprises people if they've never seen it done befor, and yet it's so simple... Needs to be :lmao:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Gaz,next time you are out for a day at a weekend drop me a PM and I will do the same, you are only up the road from me we can get together, about the only thing I am any good at is knots!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I tend to kill two bird with one stone here.

Use the adjustable grip hitch, but with a quick-release loop instead of a straight end at the finish.. This is a sliding gripping knot that can be moved to adjust the tension on a line (very useful for hammocks) but that can also be release quickly if needed.

Image:Adjustable%20grip%20hitch%20knot.png
200px-Adjustable_grip_hitch_knot.png

Note that in the third picture the working end has been pulled straight through under the top loop of the 'spiral' - instead of tsaking the working end through, make a loop in it, and take the loop through - then when you pull on the working end the loop will come out and release the knot.

Also note that when under tension this knot is solid, but you can slide the knot up and down the taut line with ease, making tensioning of hammocks, guylines etc easy!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Match, that knot has to be one of my favourites. It's so simple and yet so clever, and very effective.

In Skye earlier this year our tent was suffering in the wind. The guylines used plastic toggles for tension, but they soon became loose in the buffeting gusts. So I ignored the toggles, used the adjustable grip hitch, and the guylines were fixed.

Gaz, most of my (limited) knot knowledge is from the Ray Mears book as well - very handy set of knots. Always practice with cord while reading them, though, as they'll make much more sense. I'm always a fiddler, so recently I've taken to fiddling with a piece of cord and practising knots. It's a great way of learning - eventually your fingers know what they're doing without you having to think.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
match said:
I tend to kill two bird with one stone here.

Use the adjustable grip hitch, but with a quick-release loop instead of a straight end at the finish.. This is a sliding gripping knot that can be moved to adjust the tension on a line (very useful for hammocks) but that can also be release quickly if needed.

Good knot, but (I think ;)) technically it's a slip knot rather than a quick-release knot. A proper quick-release knot should be completely untied by pulling the loose end, whereas an adjustable grip hitch finished with a bight will still leave the running line looped around the standing line when you slip it.

I'm a big fan of the mooring hitch myself...

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I was shown some fantastic knots by Goose at the Northern meet, trouble is i forget how to tie them pretty soon after being shown them. Can anyone direct me to a decent website or other resource that has good diagrams and explanations on knots?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
If I had been any good you would have remembered :eek:
Here is a decent site for some basic knots, the animation doesnt seem to work for me but if you click "show frames" it gives you step by step instructions that are easy(ish) to follow.
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/
Cant find a decent link for the falconers hitch/knot and am no good at drawing, will try and find it somewhere and post unless anyone has a link?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE