Getting into horses hoof fungus?

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I used a pair of thick gauntlets so I could cut safely towards myself.

I've cut it very thick do I need to thin it before use or leave the same thickness and use less?

Cheers

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
As for prepping it for flint and steel do I just pound it flat, boil it in ash for a few hours then ready it?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It really depends on what you want to do with it.
If you want it to catch a spark then most of us aim for a kind of chamois leather like stuff.
Break it out, cut it into flat sheets (well I do, I aim for about 4 to 5mm thick, I don't know how others do it) boil it, let it drain and then gently work at it with your fingers or bash it with a rounded stick on something smooth. A kind of bouncing bash. The aim is to stretch it out fine and thin but keep it whole. Some folks gently work hardwood ashes into it, others soak it in saltpetred water for a wee while. Others just leave it alone.

If I've left it too thick the only way I can stretch it out is to beat it, but the noise irritates one set of neighbours no end, so recently I've just been working at it between my fingers.

Bound to be other folks happy to show and tell :)

cheers,
M

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I follow Patrick M's instructions, it works every time: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8071&page=2&p=109464&highlight=#post109464

However now I know what Chaga is I tend to use it more as all you need to do is collect one off the tree and let it dry out then it's good to go with no further preparation!
IMO it's an even better then Fomes anyway as you can drill straight into it with a hand or bow drill. It requires about 50% of the effort to set it alight (rather than produce an ember) than using a wood baseboard. I travel around a lot in the Highlands with my work and Chaga is fairly common in the East Highlands if you know where to look (old stands of birch).
Learning to make Amadou is still a worthwhile project it just takes alot more effort.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
It seems to work fine, I just beat it with a stick till flat, fluffed it up with a knife and dropped some sparks from iron pyrite onto it, I've lit three fires today like that and it wasn't especially difficult.

Is the whole boiling lark really necessary?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
No, if it works, enjoy!

There's everything from soaking it in urine to rubbing in hardwood ash. If it takes a spark readily, why bother :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE