German Army Folding Shovel

I got one of these to use hiking and wild camping, and although not the lightest it is pretty solid.

So solid however, that I cant get the bloody thing open!

How do you unfold a German Army Folding Shovel circa 1966 (there is a date mark on it). There is a diagram of what I first thought was a strange way of showing a shovel, but then I realised its a figure standing with the right arm out holding what seems to be a shovel pointing down to the ground.

I cant however work out how to get it unfolded. Ive tried brute force pulling it, but even with me standing on the sides of the shovel head nothing. Ive tried pushing in the pick side while pulling the shovel side and vice versa. Ive tried using a flat head screwdriver on the side; all to no avail!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
if its one of these (thanks endicotts)

hardware_n12_ent_tool.jpg

then you need to push the round screwhead bit in thats between the spade bit and the pick bit, it may need a bit of penetrating oil and a whack with a hammer to get it moving but dont worry the spade can hack it!!

The round bit pushes out a square bit out the other side and allows you to fix the spade or the pick in different angles. You basically push the round bit in and hold it, then rotate the spade/pick to where you want it and then let go

cracking bit of kit, i have 2 and use them for digging underground in caves.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE