Gerber Ridge Folding Knife 2"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
278621.jpg

I have one of these and it has proved very useful for small jobs but it has become very blunt.

with no skill and not much more in the way of sharpening tools how can I get a sharp edge again or should I just replace it. If so what should I replace it with

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Since it's blunt now, you might just as well have a go at it.
3M makes a whole series of fine automotive finishing sandpapers. I go as far as their 1500 grit.
Figure out what the bevel angle is. Failing that, paint the bevel with black felt marker to see how effective you are.
I suggest dead chainsaw files as mandrels to do the gross serrations.
600, 800, 1000 & 1500, a sheet of each, won't break the bank.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Depends on what sort of edge you want on it, never used one but Gerber ( BG ) do a sharpener that will do both the blade types you have on the knife.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have one of these, albeit the fine edge version, and I'd go along with Robson Valley's suggestions; accept the loss of the fine serrations and if you don't have any dead chainsaw files to hand, fold fine emery paper round a suitably sized rod (knitting needle, perhaps) for the large ones.
Avoid sharpeners aimed at blades that have a bevel on both sides. Your Ridge will be flat on the inside of the blade. The Tri-Ceps looks like it should be fine.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Lansky make sharpening stones ($8) specifically for Spyderco or Cold Steel serrations, one of them may have right curves on it.

As for replacement, Spyderco Ambitious.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's really only the tips of the serrations that blunt in general use. As this knife is a fairly cheap user, I wouldn't worry too much about getting right into the curves as I doubt they're blunt.

As suggested, some wet and dry paper on a flat surface. It'll pick up the straight edge and sharpen the tips of the serrations.

As for replacements, you'll need to tell us more about use, as in locking or not etc. There are many knives that may suit, the Chinese (Sanrenmu, Ganzo, Navy) offerings being very good value for money.

If I'm honest, that knife looks uncomfortable in use, and is a locker so unsuitable for everyday pocket carry. If you can carry a locking knife as a daily user, then I may have something far more capable for you. Been clearing the cupboard, turned up a few.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE