gerber gator folder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobo2

Jan 22, 2011
cumbria
does anyone use one of these? if so whats your thoughts about this knife? i got one recently off a mate because the pivot pin had snapped. i replaced it with an allen bolt and nut of stainless steel. it not in my opinion a nice knife. but is it a good knife?

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I had one plain edge Gator but I've also had a couple of the smaller Gerber GatorMate knives, which I much prefer to the larger Gator.

Good blade steel, well heat treated, grippy handle, lightweight, there are a lot of things to recommend.

Unless the materials failed spectacularly your mate much have been going some to snap the pin - despite their light weight they are pretty tough knives.

I don't like the part-serrated version but then I'm not a fan of serrations on knives to begin with.

Basically I like them as working knives - decent quality, tough and they don't break the bank.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Have to agree with Xunil , they do make great blades.I have a half serrated folder Gatormate which I take when I go up the fells as a just in case.I have had one or two Gerber folders where the pocket clip came off within a few weeks but I don't like those clips anyway so I'd say "good knife".

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Among the knife fans on the American forums, Gerber isn't thought of that highly any more. Apparently they're unclear about what steels are used.

The Gators seem to have a good, solid handle and grip from what I've seen, and the blades look an aggressive American hunter-style.

Never used one though.

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE