Geocaching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Anybody had a go at it??? I'm toying with the idea of getting a GPS receiver (not for this) but when out and about seeing if I can find any as a sort of by the by sideline.

Whats peoples views?

And anybody care to pass coments on gps receivers as I haven't a clue on them, I've only ever used them for sat nav in the car tied up to a pda.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Celtic Dragon said:
And anybody care to pass coments on gps receivers as I haven't a clue on them, I've only ever used them for sat nav in the car tied up to a pda.

My own personal opinion is that for navigation in the UK, I prefer a map and compass. GPS do have uses though. I would possibly consider using one as a backup to my navigation skills just in case I ever did get lost :wink: . Where I think they can be a problem is where inexperienced peolple use them to lead them up and down a mountain using a pre-set route with waymarkers. If the batteries run out (something you don't have to worry about with a compass!) they are in a lot of trouble. The other thing is that with a compass you are ( or should be) constantly looking at your surroundings and comparing it with your'e map That way you always have a pretty good idea of where you are and whats around you.

I use them at work for pinpointing plants / archaeolgical finds / locations of fixed point photography sites etc. This is where I find them most useful as the OS maps are pretty much useless for this kind of work on the dunes at Merthyr Mawr.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My lot are hooked, especially my wife. Within 3 days of goetting the GPS we had done a few caches very close to where we live, and in the process had visited the site of a mott & bailey (sp) castle, an ancient path that was once the main Cambridge to Oxford route and one of the largest badger sets around. All things right on our doorstep that we would otherwise probably not have found.
Now, whenever we go away for a few days we look up the caches in that area. Its a great way to learn the area and see the less usual sites.

Garmin Etrex for about £75 has proven perfectly adequate, but I do carry a compass too.

Dave

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
This is ours if you're over Gloucestershire way.

Haven't maintained it for a while now (naughty!), but caches tend to live a life of their own once you've started them up. Last reports were that the camera is full and box has split, so we reallty do have to get up there again soon to replace them.

A Garmin Etrex is what we use too.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Does anybody know if you can hire them?

It could be handy for a biking trip I'm planning as the tracks all look very similar and the route maps are known for being bad. Not worth my buying one (and I can't afford it)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE