General Purpose Bushcrafting Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I've been perusing through all the information regarding shiny stuff, and tbh I'm finding it a bit mind-boggling and difficult to make an informed choice, as there are so many options! :confused:

My question is, can you recommend a decent quality bushcraft knife for starting out with?

My budget is around £30 - £40, and it'll be used for woodsplitting, featherstick making, whittling and any other general purpose bits and bobs.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, as I'd rather start out on a beginner blade until I have experience of sharpening (at the moment I have none!) and utilisation - then once I've got to grips with things, I'll probably shell out a fair amount more for a keeper knife :)

I have a simple stainless steel NATO issue locker also, although I'm not sure what that would stand up to.

Many, many thanks for reading thus far :)

~WWC~

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Everyone is going to recommend a Mora mate.

Although, if you want something more attractive I think a Condor Bushlore is a good shout at £26 :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There's also the Hultafors, which at the moment I'm favouring over the Mora. For you budget you could get the regular Craftsman's knife and the heavy duty version and still have cash left to buy a stone.

Dave

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Yup :D . Buy a Mora (or Hultafor equivalent) and put the rest of the money towards sharpening kit :D

And it doesn't have to be an expensive sharpening system. A maker of all things metal and sharp, Andy Kirkham, used a cheap two sided oil stone to sharpen my axe to shaving sharp at the weekend.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
as above, no need to spend a huge amount, there are some great knives out there for very little. i personally have the hultafors heavy duty knife at £6 which is great but i just wish it was a little longer as its not great for splitting wood. i also have the mora companion, fantastic knife, my favourite at the moment and can be had for £10 most places. i also would recommend this for a first sharpening system, it really is well worth the money at £20

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Mora all the way, I guarantee that you will keep going back to it even once you have bought a more expensive one

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I'm a newbie and opted for the Mora Black carbon AT ABOUT £35. The black finish is supposed to resist oxidisation and rusting and it looks cool too. Sharp as hell, used it quite a bit already and very pleased with it.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'll buck the trend here, and say that for the top end of your budget, you could get the Condor Kephart. Full tang, better for battoning and a good all rounder. That said, the Mora is a great option.:)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Has to be a Mora for me.. no need to spend any more, for sharping wet and dry, autosol with an old leather belt to strop with :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE