General camp lighting?

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Hey, I was just wondering what everyone uses for lighting your camp?
I though about getting a hurricane lamp or something similar but would like to hear all your suggestions.

Cheers, James.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Depends on the camp, I use candle lanterns, glow sticks, hurricane lamps, gas lamps, small Coleman lamps, large Coleman lamps, and Vapalux lamps.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
you can't beat an old 4pt plastic milk jug with a candle in it.
cut off the bottom, turn it upside down, cut a cross into the lid. push candle through, light and screw lid into place. Then simply tie onto a handy tree by the handle.
It gives a nice diffuse light, is protected from wind, and is very cheap

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Candle lantern (and the glow of the fire of course). I personally find the gas lanterns and so on to be too bright but they are great if you need to do any task in the dark, but for general camp lighting (to go with backside next to fire and malt in hand) I would def choose a candle.

Milk carton as Graham_s says are a cheap way to achieve this and they work very well.

Right off to work now.

Bob_about

May 9, 2008
Warwickshire
Expensive I know, but, bought one of theses a few years ago

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/NtPlmLt.htm

had it in the car ever since, hang it upside down from centre point of tarp, centre of tent, or anywhere and it gives a good diffuse lightwhich can be varied from subtle glow, to reading brightness - have not replaced the batteries yet.

Only problem has been mates likening it to something else with an entirely different purpose.

Other than that we use head torches, and gas lanterns when all the family are about, with glowsticks left about all night.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Depends where we are.
If in the woods then the light from the fire does the job.
If out in the open then we often don't light a fire anyway (so we're not so obvious and can't be seen) and the residual light of the night sky is more than enough.
Don't use lanterns etc since they take up pack space. And I find that the only thing a glow stick lights up is the glow stick.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Depends on how I got there...

• Car camping - Hurricane lamps x2, lots of candles in empty beer cans (the longer we stay, the brighter the camp gets :beerchug: :beerchug:) & a wind up LED lantern for the kids tent.
  • Man packed - A krill lamp (sort of electronic glow stick - nice and light) and an Uco candle lantern if I have company.

Which ever, I always have a small LED torch around my neck on paracord, with my whistle.

I used to have a Coleman lamp and gas lamps, but stopped using them as I find the light very harsh and the constant hiss irritating.

Simon

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
you can't beat an old 4pt plastic milk jug with a candle in it.
cut off the bottom, turn it upside down, cut a cross into the lid. push candle through, light and screw lid into place. Then simply tie onto a handy tree by the handle.
It gives a nice diffuse light, is protected from wind, and is very cheap

That sound good, then I've always got the trusty headtorch if I need a bright light.
Do you just use regular candles? How long do they usually last?

James.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I was just looking at them, would you say they are better that just using a normal cande in a milk bottle/beer can or does it just look nicer?

If man packing I don't take milk as its too heavy. Same goes for beer - I take a Sigg flask of whiskey instead!

I do like the Uco lantern - small, relatively lightweight and it looks good too.

The beer cans work just as well tho and if you leave the "wings" on, and hang them on cord, they turn in the wind, so don't blow out (too often).

Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the look of them, I noticed on the picture the candle looked a bit funny, do you have to use a cirtain candle or will any candle fit?

It takes the standard stubby candles. There is a small parafinn buner unit included, but to be honest its crap. The candle is spring loaded and you can easily fit tea lights in them, makes them very cheap to run.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
For the last year or so, I've used a 1lt clear yellow nalgene bottle with the fire fly led attachment..

I bought one in Blacks for £4.99 about 6 months ago and saw one in another Blacks a couple of weeks ago.

These might be worth a Look. I have an older version which are 3LEDs per light instead of the 4 shown on the photo and they do give off a lot of light inside my 8 man tent.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE