Gelert Solo reduced on Amazon

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
You can use the inner of this tent as a bug screen for under your tarp and its cheap to just a thought

Jason

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
You can use the inner of this tent as a bug screen for under your tarp and its cheap to just a thought

Jason

Jason, you are the man!

I'm looking at keeping it cheap and light so am now torn between this (lose the poles and adapt it to hang from a ridge line) or the Solo. The solo would be quite a bit smaller but I guess it has more than one use.

Hhhhmmmmmm. What to do!

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I have a Solo, it is an ideal tent for anyone who hikes and camps on a budget (I picked mine up for a tenner). It has a stated HH of 1500, but it withstood very heavy rain on several occasions last year and coped with some very strong gales. It never let me down and I would recommend it to anyone on a budget (or not).

The inner, whose sleeves the poles run through, can be used on its on as a bug net and would be easy enough to adapt to hanging from a ridge line, pole free.

The one thing to keep in mind with the Solo is it is small, really small. I've 5"8' and a bit tall and fairly broad. When sleeping with an inflatable pillow, my head and feet were just a whisker away from touching the inner netting. There is about half to three quarters of a foot of space beyond the top of my head, where the netting tapers to the bathtub base, which is big enough to stow your boots in (I have a limited sense of smell, so well worn boot odour is not an issue for me, but it might be for you?) or other bits and bobs. And, there was two to three inches of free space to stow other bits and bobs, running from my shoulder to knee, on the door side of the netting. If you have one of those ultralight backpacks, that compacts down to the size of an apple, you are unlikely to get it in there with you (I stowed mine outside the inner door, under the outer fly sheet.

If you are just after a bug free nest, the Military Mart Dutch jobbie may be a better option for you, as it is a cheaper option (if you go for used grade, if you choose unissued with P&P it would be around the same price as the Solo) and from the specs, it looks big enough to sit up in, which is something you can not do in the Solo.

I guess it is a case of what works best for you.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Colin

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I impressed that Tesco state twice, ...."Due To Possible Release Of Poisonous Carbon Monoxide,Never Take A Bbq Containing Charcoal Indoors Or Into A Confined Space, Such As A Tent Or Caravan -EVEN IF YOU THINK IT HAS COOLED"

Good to see. I think ALL retailers should include such a statement on their listings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE