GB Wildlife or Mini for carving etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
I've never tried to carve a spoon so I gave it a go. I bought an axe from Homebase, a Steelmaster. My excuse was that I was impatient to get started so just got one as soon as possible.

The thing was head heavy, pretty blunt and not my cup of tea.
As was to be expected really. Rather like the axes I used when I was in the Scouts many moons ago.

So, I'd like to buy something that won't require lots of work and tools to make useful.

I want to use it for carving (I've found a new pastime!) and also for a bit of light camping use.

I really don't want or need anything yet for big chopping. I'll buy a saw to do that, probably safer to use as well.

Which is a good buy? The Mini or Wildlife? I know they're both good and I think the Wildlife is more versatile. Yes/no? I've read and seen the things Old Jimbo does with tiny hatchets. I know he's got a lot of skill and experience and it's very inspiring to see for a newb like myself.

Thanks, YB

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its really horses for courses mate..... I have had both. Some prefer the wildlife as it has a thicker (better grip) handle / some people find the mini a bit thin in the handle. Both are good for carving (both have a thin 'bit'.... if that is the correct term)..... then again, I've carved spoons with an SFA .... its just practice (isnt it always). Which ever you get, just take your time learning to work with it. Both are great tools in my eyes.

If you can, try and handle both of them and pick the one you like the most. Don't buy one on recommendation, have a go with both. Either borrow one or get to a meetup/moot and try them.

I use the mini the most (gave the wildlife to jdlenton) as it fits in my pocket and can do heavier work than a mora knife. I use it as my main tool of choice...... but then again, I'm used to it. So a wildlife would suit me too as long as I had spent some time with it.

Remember .... try before you buy ..... thats the key ;) ..... sorry I'm not much help with you choice..... though if you have big hands / fingers I'd probably suggest the wildlife.

The thing was head heavy,
all axes are ..... unless you have a lead weight on the end of the helve to balance it out.

:)
Ed

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
Thank you very much.

Getting to see them, let alone handle one will prove a bit difficult.

I like the idea of the Mini, been so, well err, mini!
That seems a very handy trait.

I'm not a large handed bloke so I can't see the handle been an issue.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My preference is for the Wildlife. I find the mini too mini for good carving. The heft of the larger ax makes it easier for me to rough out whatever I am carving.

My actual top preference is for the GB Carving ax, but that is a bit specialized for general use.

The wildlife is not all that much harder to have around compared to the mini and for me at least is way easier to use.

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I've never used a mini but I can definitely vouch for the wildlife hatchet as a great spoon making tool (I was making a spoon with one twenty minutes ago). I also think the extra weight would be a bonus for this light camping use you mention, I split a lot of small rounds of wood with mine.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've really fallen back in love with my Wildlife for carving, since watching Andy's featherstick demos with one at the outdoor show. I now almost prefer it to a knife.

Dave

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
There was a thread by British Red on sorting out an axe head, you may want to try that with the axe you have? try "british red axe" in the search box.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Ahhhhhh....

I've been very tempted by one of those. Is it really handicapped in some way for splitting and lopping etc.?
I find the GB carving axe a really superb all round tool. Whilst it is quite heavy in comparison to the others you've mentioned, the weight helps its effectiveness. You don't need as much energy you just let the weight of the axe do the work.

As the others have said, it's worth having a go with other folk's axes to get a feel for them before deciding what you want.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is it really handicapped in some way for splitting and lopping etc.?

In a word no. In fact the only drawback as far as I can see is it costs a bit more and its a bit heavier if you are walking with it in a pack. I have met just a few folk who find the weight a bit much for long use.

Other than that it is better for carving once you know how to use it. The curved cutting edge gives a lovely slicing cut. I take one camping and use it for firewood etc but I am very careful with it, a carving axe must be in perfect condition and if the edge touches stone or another tool it can put a nick in the edge which will stop all carving until after a regrind.

Here is a video of me roughing a spoon blank with the SCA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-NTPBoLmU

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
Many thanks Nicola and Robin.

Sounds like it's fat enough for splitting things and the only drawback is a slight weight penalty relative to size and helve length. Other than that I just need to be careful about putting it to "jack of all trades" use if I'm hoping to get some decent carving done without major file work to restore the edge.

Many thanks. I reckon I can live with that.

Cheers

Mike

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
On the school here there are many carving axes and other gransfors axes that I have been able to try out. I think the carving axe is very bad at splitting in comparison to a sfa. Mind you I chop quite much wood and have made all my food in the whole last month on a fire in the tipi. I only use an axe to split the piece of wood in half and continue with my knife to finish spoons. So I would never use the carving axe. If you mostly do carving and only need it to split and chop firewood sporadically then it's ofcourse no problem. But I wouldn't recommend a carving axe to anyone as their only axe, the sfa or wildlife is fine enough to do carving with and work a lot better all round.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE