GB Small forest axe sheath? Mine broke, and I need a new one.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hello chaps, earlier today after hours of work with my GB sfa axe the sheath/mask strap broke! I've been pouding with the back of the axe to drive in dozens of thick stakes into the ground and the slackness of the strap must have meant it got hit a few times and it eventually just broke and flew off!

So, I don't feel safe using it as a hammer without a mask on so does anyone know where to buy a stronger, better fitting one? For around £20 if possible, and does anyone on here make them for this sort of price?

I've found this on fleabay and it seems alright, and it's well priced:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en anyone tired one of these?

I'd like to add.. the sheath I was using was the one that came with it and a while back after heavy use one of the rivet things in the end also started to touch the edge of the blade as the leather wore away! (I removed that particular rivet as it was doing no good to the blade)

anyone know where to find a good mask then? any advice or help is much appreciated!

thanks, samon

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
It'd probably be best to set about repairing the bits you have left over. Might get something serviceable for a couple of quid that way.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Hi Samon , I recently purchased an axe mask for my SFA from this seller. It wasnt the same as the one in the link though. It was one without rivets and only stitching .
A well made item with good delivery time,however I had to remove some of the spacing leather to get the axe to fit without cutting into the top and bottom of the mask . Not a major hassle though.
HF

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi there hunter....yup i believe you bought the last one of those i had....i'm currently making a new batch...sorry to hear aboyut the spacing....bit confused as i try them all out on my own axe and they do fit....granted i do like to make all of my leatherwork snug yes because it always gives in time and i'm not a fan of leatherwork thats 'generic'...i like my work very much tailored....if its a prob let me know ok?....nice to see your 'well made and good delivery'...thankyou!

a

Hi Samon , I recently purchased an axe mask for my SFA from this seller. It wasnt the same as the one in the link though. It was one without rivets and only stitching .
A well made item with good delivery time,however I had to remove some of the spacing leather to get the axe to fit without cutting into the top and bottom of the mask . Not a major hassle though.
HF

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looking at the one on the bay Samon mate it looks like the stitching lies on the top of the leather not in a groove, this could be a problem over time as it will get abrasion and break, nice price mind.
You could try making your own, I had a go recently and have made three of them for some of my axes, I found it easy to do.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi again....lol.....yup as i've already explained to samon....that sheath is one of the last of the very first design i made from when i started leatherwork....hence the price....i've sold dozens and dozens of them worldwide with never a complaint and i still to this day have one on one of my own gb axes....never a problem...there are 4 strands of wenzel thru every hole......my previous ebay account had a 4800 perfect feedback....i dont make that design any more and i've evolved somewhat leatherwork-wise as most on here are aware.....and if the stitching was to go its a very simple restitch job anyway...

i am however a little confused about the 'fit' of hunters....i tend to put the bottom point of the blade in first yes?....in over the welt.... i have a couple here and theyre fine.....?

lol what a saga.....regards

a

ps i hope my openess over all this shows my integrity....i couldve just ignored it....but guys...a handmade, handstitched, hand-dyed full grain shoulder 3.5mm sheath for a tenner.....youre hard to please no? lol

Looking at the one on the bay Samon mate it looks like the stitching lies on the top of the leather not in a groove, this could be a problem over time as it will get abrasion and break, nice price mind.
You could try making your own, I had a go recently and have made three of them for some of my axes, I found it easy to do.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah! haha small world 'ey!? ;)

This is the sheath now..

DSCF2609.jpg

DSCF2610.jpg

and the sort of strap I'd like, and I'm aware I could do this mod myself as the strap is plenty long enough but I don't have the tools to remove/add the button top. (that's my my fair lady's hand btw! ;) )

Pm sent angst, checked out your links and your work is lovely!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I can fix that for you if you want...but you'll need to send me a paper strap to the right length as I don't have an sfa. Oh and cover return postage. Pm me if you want.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can fix that for you if you want...but you'll need to send me a paper strap to the right length as I don't have an sfa. Oh and cover return postage. Pm me if you want.

hey, thank you for the offer mate! very gratefull, but I'm just gona leave it in my scrap box for another time and just order a better one.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can make you one for £20.
I will post a picture of the one I made myself a few weeks back.

thanks, I'd like to see what sorts of designs are out there so post them up!

*your picture doesn't work mate..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
And it does indeed! looks good! I will get back to you, if that's ok?

do you have any other examples/designs?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Have you ever used a claw hammer? Assuming the answer is yes, have you ever hit yourself with the claw end on the backswing? If the answer is 'no' why would you think you are going to chop your ears off if you use the axe poll as a hammer?
I believe that most people would remove the mask before using it.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo....no worries guys....in fact i've just made a bespoke sheath for a bcuk'er and from a new template....it is welted and fits like a glove....watch this space lol!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Have you ever used a claw hammer? Assuming the answer is yes, have you ever hit yourself with the claw end on the backswing? If the answer is 'no' why would you think you are going to chop your ears off if you use the axe poll as a hammer?
I believe that most people would remove the mask before using it.

I understand what you're saying, but I work in mucky and cramped work enviroments where space is often limited and I feel much safer working with this axe when it's blade is covered. After nearly cutting my thumb off with an axe a while back, and causing perminant ligament severance I like to play it safe.

SO.. I use kevlar gloves and keep the mask on at all times when not cutting with it. As with all my tools, be them sharp of shooty, I try to be as careful as possible!

and my new mask is looking sweet! ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE