GB Small Forest Axe - Handle Treatment

Had this for nearly a year now, during the course that I got it on we removed the factory finish and replaced it with a coat of birch oil. However on my native course earlier this year one of the instructors mentioned that this isn't so good for handles. Anyone know why that may be?

I was actually thinking of removing the finish and applying something else. All I happen to have is Danish Oil, well I would have some if I could get the damned thing open :red: , but I have an idea for that :thinkerg: . Anyway would danish oil be good for an axe handle?

Also whats the saying about applying oil to the handle, once a week for a month etc?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I was actually thinking of removing the finish and applying something else. All I happen to have is Danish Oil, well I would have some if I could get the damned thing open :red:

Danish oil is usually stored in totally feckless containers (lid designed by an idiot) and after you use it once the lid sticks on, the best thing to do is stick a screwdriver through the top and make two holes (one to pour and another as a breather to stop the glug) and pour it into a jamjar/container of your choice.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I use Danish or Teak oil, it's Danish I have at the moment.

It's a pain having to try and open the cap, I use mole grips for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE