GB Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
cool! I think it looks great, certainly different to all the many many sfa axes out there!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers TG. Im diggin it!....:bigok:...... Go on, get yours pimped, you know you want to.....

P1012232_zps3de1c2b5.jpg

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I pimped something worth a LOT less when I did my trailhawk... I actually wouldn't have the balls to do a beaut like that, no matter how absolutely gorgeous I thought it *might* look afterwards! All hail to you for knowing what you're doing enough to do it and not mess up like I might have ;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I pimped something worth a LOT less when I did my trailhawk... I actually wouldn't have the balls to do a beaut like that, no matter how absolutely gorgeous I thought it *might* look afterwards! All hail to you for knowing what you're doing enough to do it and not mess up like I might have ;)

I cant find a piccie of it now, but I remembr seeing your etchings. Now that was artistry....all I did was sand mine down. :D

If you dont have the tools to do yours, you can send it up to me and I'll do it for you. Free of course. No rush. Have a think on it.:)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I cant find a piccie of it now, but I remembr seeing your etchings. Now that was artistry....all I did was sand mine down. :D

If you dont have the tools to do yours, you can send it up to me and I'll do it for you. Free of course. No rush. Have a think on it.:)
Awww lovey, thats real sweet and a very touching offer :) But I don't have a GB, I only stalk threads of beautiful axes and drool onto my keyboard longingly! I'm afraid my other axes are all of the cheap farm store variety, shockingly used and abused, dinked, chipped and loved the hard way ;)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I have two GB's that I'm very glad I bought before they became so popular and expensive. Judging from the pictures, either GB has gone to much better sheaths since then, or some of you do wonderful leatherwork.

I'm always sniffing around for vintage axe heads to refurbish and rehaft. The golden age of North America's timber industry was from about 1850 to 1950. That's when axes reached the pinnacle of design and quality, and it's been pretty much downhill since then. When an axe handle breaks, the old heads tend to be discarded in a corner of the barn or garage, and replaced with a whole new axe from the hardware store, with no regard to the difference in steel and temper. People are starting to realize that vintage axes are desirable, but I'm seeing a lot of them that have been destroyed by "sharpening" on power grindstones before being put up for sale.

Just did a quick inventory: I have two GB's, a Wetterlings, four Hults Bruk 2 1/2 pounders, a Snow and Nealley, a Kimo Bruk, and old double-bits by Stanley, Plumb, Kelley, and Collins. I'd better make sure my wife never sees them all in the same place at the same time.

Last edited:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Here is my latest Axe...well, I only have 3. And this is the first that is not a camping axe.

8511755543_1fb7ac26c4.jpg

8512865590_e13f86a8b1.jpg

The Hultafors Huggyxa Hy-20. (Hultafors Felling Axe)
8512865214_bb07031254.jpg

They only had 2 left. The other one had light colored wood in the handle, but I liked this better.
8511754393_727a6f7406.jpg

The but end
8511754187_38be083a12.jpg

Been giving it a healthy ammount of lins seed oil...

8511753915_2ac7536c9c.jpg

And here is my other axe with the other sharps I bring when I go out, sans my saws.
The axe is a nameless thing that I paid 10£ for, stripped the paint off it, sanded the varnish off the handle, sharpened it and gave it some rust protection by forcing a patina on it by leaving it in a cloth soaked in vinegar overnight.

8465528226_b7a4cc9bc8.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE