gas ram conversion?

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
does anybody have any advice about this? I like the idea of a gas ram but Im not sure about prices and compatibility of rifles etc- hopefully some of you might be able to help :D

cheers

J

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you mean Theoben gas rams... Go for it!

The FPS spread over a chrono will (nearly) match a well regulated PCP. Theoben has a list of rifles that the various gas rams fit. Just make sure you get it checked once fitted!

al.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have tried a bunch & cant tell any difference to be honest in terms of accuracy, recoil etc... Where spending money does help is to get the insides tuned by someone who really know what they are doing eg Venom & some of the well known names in springer tuning. A mate has a HW97K that is really good, after it had new springs, delron washers fitted etc & all the working parts were finely sanded. About £100 to £150 can transform a good springer into something special.

It depends what you start out with of course. A cheap or averge springer can only be tuned so much but a HW etc can be made very good. Just my 2 cents

It

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
gas rams last longer than springs and you get more consistency over the life of the product (they don't lose power with age) i used to have a weihrauch hw90 with a gas ram and it was the best gun i've ever had, bloody heavy though

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I shot a few theoben rifles and was well impressed with them, the info is on theoben's website what guns they fit, there arent many!! I have always fancied tuning a bsa lightning, not bad guns for the money!! gas ram might make it pretty special!!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have always fancied tuning a bsa lightning, not bad guns for the money!! gas ram might make it pretty special!!

I spent £150 getting an original Lightening tuend up with a Venom spring, Delron washers & had all the internals polished smooth. It shot much better but was about the same a good springer i.e HW97, HW100, AA Prosport etc... Now spend the same on one of those & you can get something really good, with the lock time of a PCP, much reduced recoild and very good accuracy. Getting a Gas Ram is good but it wont improve things a lot. Getting the sears & internals polished up, using hi grade washers, grease etc.. will make much more difference. I am talking about springers used by top end shooters on the HFT circuit, who can outshoot most (if not all) PCP shooters on a good day.

That said a gas ram is cheap & does improve things quite a bit for not a lot. Just watch your fingers & use the right tools (spring tensioners) if you are doing it yourself as lots of people get hurt messing around with springs on airguns; that can be under a lot of preasure & the end results are well known in A&E departments throughout the land.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
cheers TBL, any idea how much it would cost?

Depending on self fitting (not really advised) or going to a decent tuner... £80 (at a guess for the ram) plus labour.

Neumo has posted some good advice, see if you can find an old school tuner and send them a mail. Take it from there...

atb, al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE