Gas lantern help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi folks. I've been gifted an old veritas gas lantern. I'd love to get this up and running for some winter sea fishing trips, but I don't even know how to turn it on! Any help appreciated!

20200926_223459.jpg

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Though in essence gas lanterns in good condition are simple things to light, keep and maintain, given it's age and unknown history, I would exercise some caution before thinking to attempt to light it. Caution of which would include discovering all I could about it, or the type it is to include finding maintenance instructions if there are any around and carrying out that maintenance. as age tends to do bad things to rubber seals of which gas lanterns tend to have.

And if I could not find any specific maintenance instructions I would take to youtube to watch what videos I could find pertaining to gas lanterns perhaps using the search term 'camping gaz' as they are the most popular, and/or consulting someone that knows about gas lanterns in person so they can take you through what needs to be done - try the local scout group as it was in scouts that I personally learned about gas lanterns and pressurised paraffin Tilley lamps.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A quick whizz around the tinternet later...
Manufactured by Falks-Veritas of London circa 1960'ish, the company is still going of sorts as Valor fires but stopped the camping side decades ago.
Takes a pierceable butane canister and uses a gas mantle
but now the fun bit... later verions used a cartridge similar to Camping Gaz (whether they fit or not I don't know), the early ones however used a taller bespoke gas can that's no longer in production.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks for the replies gents, really struggled to find out anything about it. Gave it a light as per other gas lanterns, it worked but had a very sombre glow! I think it needs a new mantle and the fact I can't get new gas for it means it's destined for the bin unfortunately :confused:

Reactions: Silverclaws2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE