Gas lantern for £4, too good to be true?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looks okay, but a bit hungry.... 78g per hour? Thats virtually a full gas cannister isn't it?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not sure on fitting but for £4. Does sound hungry. I've never used them bar a hurricane lamp nicknamed by Damien "ol' leaky" because you ended up with a river of heated paraffin under it

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It certainly 'sounds' like a bargain, but what canister does it use ? they don't say. If it's the cheap four for a fiver ones then it's brilliant :)

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
But then its running costs will be about £3-£4 per hour because of the amount of gas it consumes :(

I'm trying to find the light Greg had when we went to North Wood. Packs flat... and you inflate it... charges throughout the day, and its free... solar powered.

Think its on workingclassheroes, but my net is playing up and it won't let me on :(

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It fits on the screw type canisters. Mine chugs and flares, not really confident of being close to it when it's lit! :eek:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It certainly 'sounds' like a bargain, but what canister does it use ? they don't say. If it's the cheap four for a fiver ones then it's brilliant :)

M

Aye that was my first thought Mary. My gelert stove takes screw ins. Can't imagine this will be different. Same stove I got the converter for to accept butane. If it's not that good for cooking might be suitable for a lantern was my thinking because I have 2 different types of canister

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
But then its running costs will be about £3-£4 per hour because of the amount of gas it consumes :(

I'm trying to find the light Greg had when we went to North Wood. Packs flat... and you inflate it... charges throughout the day, and its free... solar powered.

Think its on workingclassheroes, but my net is playing up and it won't let me on :(

My butane cans are 400g and I imagine that consumption is at full brightness. You do make a good point though Dewi. Will I be judged for using Indiana Jones style stick torches?

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
It does not seem to hungry to me depending on the type\cost of canister used, the type shown at bottom are usually around 220 grams and I usually find them at around 1/3rd of the price of the type in the first pic.

At 78 grams per hour that should easily be over two and a half hours burn time (on 220 grams), not too bad at all, I am not sure if you can get a mantle type lantern that would be any more efficient, someone may be able to advise of a more fuel efficient version of this type.

A bonus, apart from the light is that they are a good heat supply source, but as copper_head kind of says - treat with caution and stay safe.

Looks like the lamp fits this type of canister (250 grams).

With an adapter the lamp can be run on this type of canister (around 220 grams depending on brand), usually a lot cheaper than the type above.
s-l225.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The ones my lad buys are only 100g... no wonder it runs out so quickly!!!

How much are those large cannisters Rory?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ahhh, now that would reduce running costs! Blimey... my lad has been overpaying like mad (or should I say I have on his behalf)

So the running costs on the 220g cannisters is going to be about a £1 an hour?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Ahhh, now that would reduce running costs! Blimey... my lad has been overpaying like mad (or should I say I have on his behalf)

So the running costs on the 220g cannisters is going to be about a £1 an hour?

If that Dewi you can get them really cheap if you buy in relative bulk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE