Gas lantern for £4, too good to be true?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
…… :hatscarf: :theyareon … :news: ... :stretcher: ... :lurk:

Now who here is expecting a future post to be something along the lines of "this is Steph, numbnuts has blown off both of his thumbs in a gas explosion so won't post until we find them" haha

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
The ones my lad buys are only 100g... no wonder it runs out so quickly!!!

How much are those large cannisters Rory?

Hi dewi,

The 250 gram type canisters are usually £4.50 each at best unless you find a deal like Toddy mentioned.
The other type I never pay more than £1.75 each for them.
With the cheaper canister type I reckon it safe to say it would cost you max 70 pence per hour.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've been paying about £4.60 for a 100g cannister and I thought that was reasonably cheap... but then I don't use it, my lad uses it for his stove... I bought the kelly kettle and I tend to cook on coals or wood when I'm out and about.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've been paying about £4.60 for a 100g cannister and I thought that was reasonably cheap... but then I don't use it, my lad uses it for his stove... I bought the kelly kettle and I tend to cook on coals or wood when I'm out and about.

28 BUTANE GAS BOTTLES CANISTERS FOR COOKER HEATER BBQ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CX42ZGS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_P-5swbFWACK84 they're about the cheapest but you do need an adaptor. Have a mess about with my new one at SC Dewi it isn't bad

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Those top ones we can get for 6 for £20, or if Wilkinson's has a sale on, two for a fiver :) M

6 for £20 is a good price for those Toddy, are you able to share a link to where you buy them.

I've found that type in Wilko for £1.50 each, but I expect it will be a looooong time before i get that lucky again :(.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
There you go dewi, on Mick's deal the lamp would cost you less than 41p per hour to run, that is taking into account that some of that type of butane cylinder are filled to only 210 grams.

I have found the 220 grams in budget shops for £1.30 each (no bulk buy), Home Bargains and Bargain Buys have them regularly.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There you go dewi, on Mick's deal the lamp would cost you less than 41p per hour to run, that is taking into account that some of that type of butane cylinder are filled to only 210 grams.

I have found the 220 grams in budget shops for £1.30 each (no bulk buy), Home Bargains and Bargain Buys have them regularly.

That is pretty amazing.... so roughly 2 and a half hours per cannister... if you used it whilst cooking and clean up in the dark hours, then again for getting everything stowed away for the night, you'd probably use about 2/3rds of a cannister. 2 nights in the woods, 1 and a half cannisters (although you're carrying in 2)... not massive amounts of weight to carry in either.

Taking into account the price difference between the solar light and the gas powered light, the gas would give over 41 hours of light before it became more expensive than the initial cost difference of the solar... which is roughly just over 27 weekends out in the woods.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not intentionally being cheeky, but rechargeable batteries are pretty cheap and LED lights are brilliant :D

M

Not half as much fun though! :D I'm wondering if a white balloon over a torch would have a lantern effect

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Wondering as well... is that lantern going to produce heat as well?

What I mean is, could you use it in an enclosed space as a heater, or does it not work like that?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Candle lanterns are pretty good :D and they can be fun to make too :)
For a while there we could get brassed ones on ebay for £2.99.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Wondering as well... is that lantern going to produce heat as well?

What I mean is, could you use it in an enclosed space as a heater, or does it not work like that?

CO is probably an issue with that to be honest. There will be a disclaimer about using it indoors you can bet your botty on it. Saying that I've used hexy in a tent and been fine... Well not fine... But I didn't die

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I like the idea of those actually but I can't see them kicking out meaningful light. In a tent maybe like

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Funny you should say that M... my wife has got me a candle lantern for this weekend to try out. No idea on the costs, but I should imagine it was cheap to buy and candles are quite cheap.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
CO is probably an issue with that to be honest. There will be a disclaimer about using it indoors you can bet your botty on it. Saying that I've used hexy in a tent and been fine... Well not fine... But I didn't die

Didn't think about that... no way of venting it without losing the heat really.

We shall see with the candle light this weekend... the way it's designed, I think it will give off a decent enough light to be fair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE